Lead Exposure

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by DWB, Dec 28, 2009.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Folks,

I know that a lot of us are using the cold winter months to stock up on sinkers...I too am thinking about getting to work molding a few.

We all know that working with lead comes with risks. I found this great document that talks about ways to mitigate the risk to you and your family while working with lead and wanted to pass it along.

If you have additional tips or words of wisdom learned from experience this would be a good place to post them up.

Here is to happy (safe) casting!

Attached Files:

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    where a resperator!!!..I never did till just the other day and i didnt feel like crap after wards nor did i get a headache or nothing and i lasted WAY WAY longer!!!And glasses and gloves for sure!!

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I worked around lead on a large scale during a couple summer jobs. The most important things that people casting sinkers need to worry about is burns. It is very important to protect your eyes and your hands. The next thing is ventilation, this is due more to the crap that is on the lead than the lead itself.

Long story short if you wear gloves and eye protection and have good ventalation(doing it outside is best) you will be good to go.

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Some very good advise here thanks.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    When dealing with lead one can never be careful enough. Good advice. Thanks.

6. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
  7. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    If you are exposed to the fumes of cooking down lead you are three times more likely to get lung and stomach cancer. That has been proven and can be looked up on the .gov website talking about lead. Lead is very dangerous. If ya can get cancer on your eyelid because of the sun's reflection off the water ya know it has to be true about lead. I preach the good talk about care when making weights. Why not protect yourself...You wouldn't run out into the road without looking both ways so never not protect yourself from lead posioning...:cool2:

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Glenda is right about the fumes... The fumes of lead are far worse than most think... if you are melting and pouring indoors then you are taking bad risks... not only are you breathing more fumes than you should but they are also being absorbed into your furniture and the wood work of your home and you are putting your loved ones at risk of lead poisoning. If it is too cold to melt and pour outside ... don't do it inside....

If you can set up a canopy and put tarps up to help keep out the cold but also make sure the fumes can easily escape.

Also handling lead with your bare hands is a danger... lead will absorb thru the skin and get into the blood stream. So, when your through handling lead for the day be sure and wash your hands with a strong soap in warm water for 2 mins minimum.

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    great thread, you should post the same article over in the Sinker section. it could serve quite a few of us good to be reminded of some safety. thanks for the post.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Wheres Mellon :eek:oooh::smile2:!

11. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :crazy: I'm screwed:crazy:

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The Gateway Cats Lead-Stock event is held in Ole'jer's basement every year with one little door open for ventilation!:crazy:

It ain't hoinked anyone up yet......:roll_eyes::tounge_out::tounge_out::wink: