lead contaminated deer meat

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by massa_jorge, Jan 13, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    seems like everywhere i read about eating deer lately there seems to be concern over lead poisoned deer meat. supposedly, the meat most of us have been eating our whole lives with no repurcussions is suddenly hazardous to our health. i was reading about a guy from the peregrine fund starting the study, and the alarming reslults of his study. his group had a lot to do with getting lead bullets banned out in california, according to what i have read. i think it's a load of crap. anyone i know that hunts has the common sense to trim shot damaged meat on big game, even if it means sacrificing a whole shoulder. the reason i trim damaged meat so heavily is not for concern of lead, but because the damaged meat that's full of blood will go bad a lot faster than the rest of the deer. i think this is a covert attack on hunting by people with an ulterior motive, funded by people who don't know any better. or i could just be thinking too much... what do yall think?

2. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    That pretty much sums up what I think about that.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My thoughts as well,I guess they never thought Humans which are the ultimate predator/carnivor,might not have the wherewithall to REMOVE the lead before eating it:wink: That said,I think its a backdoor anti hunting scheme.

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    In agreement, backdoor legislation getting the population that's concerned about pollution involved to ban sport cause nobody wants to ever die. Like lead in paint or asbestos or 3rd and 4th hand cigarette smoking.

Wait till the "group" decides that lead weights are contaminating fish or the environment of fish. Whoooo boy. Gonna have to take up knitting with OSHA approved knitting needles as a blood sport.

5. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Couldn't agree with ya'll more. Reps to you and Jordan both. Personally I think that the people that come up with this crap and even the people that fund it should actually stop and think before they open their mouths. Just wander if they know what goes on behind closed doors at some of their "LOCAL" restaurants that they eat at every day. Have been in the food service business for many years and seen some weird stuff in some of these kitchens with an "A" rating on their front door.:roll_eyes:

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah...I think it's dumb. My memories of eating rabbit are like eating watermelon. Take a bite, and spit out the shot, lol. That's bad enough...but it's not that way with deer. Lead is not good for you, but most of us are smart enough to cut around the wound anyways. I think they mostly tested donated meat where it was probably all tossed into a grinder...bullet fragments and all. That's not healthy. Proper preparation is important.

Postbeetle...you ever tried to buy lead sinkers at Wal-Mart? It's nearly impossible. It's all some kind of funky alloy.

Anybody ever tried any of the all copper bullets? If so, do they work?

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    gotta agree guys. i shoot them in the upper neck so the lead goes with the head. and the heart stops pumping when the 45 cal bullet shatters the spine so it shouldnt travel into body via blood. well i got about 200 lbs of leadded meat sausage and slimjims then i guess lol.:wink:

sounds like some people need lead poisioning if ya catch my hint.:smile2:

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Another vote for IT'S A BUNCH OF CrRaAaAaApPpPpPp!!! My whole family from great grandparents on down has hunted and shot wild game with lead shot. We have always ate what we killed, squirrells, rabbits, deer etc...
    It's gotten to the point now that they are worried about lead paint in toys, even heard this week they were trashing a bunch of perfectly good cloths that would clothe a lot of homeless people and and kids just because of the lead content, now thats just crazy.
    Bad thing is i'm afraid it's going to get a lot worse before it starts getting better. One of these days the common man or at least everyone with common sense is going to have to come together and say enough is enough and take this country back over and straighten it out. I really beleive we still out number all the tree hugging idiots in this world with little or no common sense.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the all copper solids are pretty good from what i hear, especially for heavy game that requires a lot of punch. they retain most of their weight due to their construction. i don't see them as an alternative, just another tool in the box to kill bigger animals. i am stuck on sierra pro hunters for the time being, and they are pretty much a plain jane jacketed lead softpoint. made well, though, i should say. this season was my 4th season on this box. they flat knock the crap out of everything i have shot with them, with the exception of one that i flubbed the shot, and that was on me. i have buddies that use the all copper barnes bullets on elk and hogs. i have seen the results and they have all been good. big holes and a downed animal quick. i can't afford to pay the price though. i got my federal classics loaed with sierras for 7 bucks a box. 5 years ago it was a great deal, at today's prices it is unreal. thanks for the responses.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    oh i wanted to say something- heavy bullets on deer have not had the best results for me. 8 years ago i was hunting hogs in the early morning, using 180 grn power points. i had bought the 180's to hunt elk but it fell through. i thought hogs were tougher than they were. it was deer season too and i had permission to hunt a huge peanut field in hall county for deer or hogs. i drilled a pretty good mulie buck at 150 yards and he ran over 100 yards before he died. if that field was any smaller i would not have got to recover him. minimal damage and exit hole was almost the same as the exit. he wasn't solid enough to open up the bullet even though he was well over 220 pounds dressed. something worth noting. i think about this with the copper solids. has anyone used them for deer in the heavier weights?