Leaches

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Mo.Hick, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Just courius does anybody use leaches for catfishing? I ran into a guy down at Oceola on july 3rd that used them. When I was a kid I knew quit a few people who used. Dont really care to use them just wanted to see if very many people still used them.

Tom

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Not sure about there but around here Leaches are great bait for Channels and the occasional Flattie. The bigger they are the better also.
    Hope this helps & Good Luck out there!!!

3. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I use them every year when the channels spawn. They are a deadly bait when bounced along the rocks that are in the shallower water that has some current over them. I have fished them under floats as little as 2 ft deep.

4. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Hey Tom, I was at Carlyle about a week ago, and some guys at the bait shop told me that they was hitting live leaches. Me being from the city I never saw a leach. So I went in and pick up some. We got some good rips but no hook ups. They are pretty hardy and stays on the hook well. I want to try some around these parts. Are bait shops dont have em. I might be on to something. Next time Im up there I'll grab some and try on the Mo. or the Miss.

5. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    When I fished Kentucky Lake last year we caught over 20 channels and one Flattie all eating size fish all on a small piece of shrimp and a leach. The guy who told me what to use said they fish it all the time like that. The smell of the shrimp helps them locate the leach is what they said.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Never did use them for bait but sure used to get them stuck to my skin when a kid.Only way we could get them off was to burn them off.Boy they sure leave a welt.Like to have some now but don't know where to find them.Anyone have any ideas.

7. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I use them all the time, for walleye and trout. I use a coffee can pinched down in the front baited with carp guts to catch them.

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    They sell leaches at Nemo's bait store at Mark Twain Lake. They work really well, if you stick them in a carton of chicken livers, as they will swell up from the blood. We used to catch alot of channels and blues on them.:wink:

9. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Thanks for all the info guys I appreciate it.

Tom

10. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Willie I am a city boy too, and they only time I say them was in the movie where the kid pulled it ou by his pecker and passed out. After I saw that I have never wanted to know where they were...:eek:oooh::embarassed::crazy::misdoubt:

11. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I spent last summer in Canada, and met a guy who owned his own bait store. Leeches are by far and away the most popular bait there, and he took me out with him to trap leeches one time. Pretty simple set up.
    Take a pie tin, fold it in half and put chicken liver or cow liver in the middle, a small hunk of it. Take a binder clip to shut it and then tie a string onto it and throw it into a pond. Let it sit for a day or two, pull it in and you'll have a load of leeches.
    They can be tough to catch at times, up in Canada they are almost impossible to catch after July, no idea what its like in the midwest. They do get a lot bigger here than in Canada though, he wanted me to start shipping them to him! (too bad its illegal, coulda make some bank on it)

12. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    Back in the mid 70's, we used to dig them along the Blue River near the old Heart Drive-in, under I-70 in KC, by the 5 -gal buckets.

Used them on trot lines. They stretched out like a big nightcrawler when you put them in water and tough as leather. I remember catching 2-3 channel on one leech during several days of having our lines in the water and pulling the leech off when we pulled our lines out.They would swim off after being on a hook for several days. Were great trot line bait, just had to keep them off of the bottom. I remember as a kid it didn't take long to put one on a hook, we didn't want to become blood donors! lol :big_smile:

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I never used leeches but pulled a few off my legs:confused2: Good read, i've learned they are indeed good bait, and also how to catch em.

14. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    This post made me laugh for 10 mins...Thank you:big_smile::big_smile:

15. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    leeches r by far the best bait to use in thomas hill lake. i wont go fishing there without them. ive caught 10 channel cat all 2-7 lbs on the same leech before. so it makes paying 3-4 dollars a dozen seem a lot better. ive never had a whole lot of luck with them on the rivers though. but in the lakes they r excellent bait.

16. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Anybody ever use eel for bait? I have heard they are good bait.Where can you catch them like little ones to use whole and live.

17. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Never heard of anyone using them in Mo.

Tom