Leaches anyone?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by barboot1, Jul 9, 2008.

1. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    Anyone here evr have any luck using live leaches for channel cats? I went to a pay lake close to home this past weekend and tried every bait I had. No luck. Then I went to the tackle shop and bought a dozen leaches. Caught some nice channel cats on them little buggers. Anyone ever use them on a river?

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Problem is that in a healthy river or lake large bass and walleye often eat tyhem before any catfish find em.Great great bait tho.

3. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    I can see that. They do stay alive on the hook a long time and squirm a lot:big_smile:

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Keep those leeches in mind when the channels spawn in your local rivers! They are a deadly bait when bounced along the rocks that are in the shallower water that has some current over them. I have fished them under floats as little as 2 ft deep.:wink:

5. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I bought a dozen leeches last week as I am despirate to find something the cats here attack. Down side, these were very expensive. I was charged $9.00 for the dozen. What did you pay for yours? As was mentioned, I put a leech on a "test pole". No luck, but they weren't biting on anything else. :embarassed: I am going to try them again (might as well since I now have 11 high priced leeches in my ref.)

Good luck!

Linda

6. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    they are deadly here in ohio on great lake erie,the smallmouth's just tear them little buggers up!

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    havnt ordered any in a while but in the back pages of field and stream magazine theres an add for leaches from the baitman in indiana and he was real reasonable on the prices and yes he ships world wide.

8. crazy4cats

crazy4cats New Member

State:
    Kentucky

around here leeches arent expensive at all
    i can get about a dozen for a few dollars

maybe urs are bigger? the ones i buy are around 4 -5 inches

Leeches are a bait that alot of fish will take includings cats

I usuall end up catching bass or if im using a small enof hook some panfish

i do catch small channels some times tho

9. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    Yikes $9 a dozen:eek:oooh: Think I got mine for around $2 a dozen. Cabelas sells preserved leaches that might work as well and not cost so much.

10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I took a guide trip on Lake Barclay a few years ago with a guide that used leaches tipped with a little piece of shrimp. The channels loved'em! We caught fish all day, and the leeches stayed on the hook for quite a while. I'm not sure that preserved ones will work as well as live ones, though.

11. Kerplunkd

Kerplunkd New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like those leeches are sucking more off of ya'll than their regular hosts.:smile2: