LCX27C

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by katcaller, May 6, 2008.

1. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Just bought my first fish-finding sonar and mapping GPS and it doesn't work right! Last Saturday I took it out on the river and it kept freezing up and not reading depths. I could not read the returns when it was not frozen. I called the Company (Lowrance) Monday and asked them what was going on with it. They asked if I was trying to chart shallow water. I said 8 to 30 feet and that it locked up at 9 and 11 feet. Their answer was that it "was fine" however, I MIGHT need to up load the new program they have. I asked why I paid over 1000.00 for a new product and it had to be upgraded. "It my have the older program loaded". I could go to the web site and down load the program to a reader/writer then up load it to my BRAND NEW sonar unit. I do not have a reader/writer so for a small fee, I could have it mailed to me to up load, BUT I would have to send it back. Why do I have to pay for your poor programing? We can not afford to pay for all the shipping. I would have to say that I will never buy a Lowrance product again. Oh by the way I have a like new LCX27c for sale. I had to wait about 20 minutes to talk to someone on their 800 line, during the wait their recorded message said that it was better for people to go to their website as they have thousands of calls coming in each day to their customer service center. I thought? MMMMMM if they are answering thousands of calls a day, they must be putting out an awful lot of junk products. My suggestion is to do some in depth research before buying a sonar unit.
    I am sure that the boat mechanic that installed the unit did not know what he was doing either. I asked him about the shut off switch for the satellite antenna and he did not know you needed one. You do, or the antenna stays on all the time and runs your battery down. My question is: Can any one of you help me with this problem?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'll give you $500 for it and you don't even have to un-install the transducer or GPS receiver... Let me know where to send the check.

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    No kiddin' I just payed a grand for my LCX27C, but mine works perfect. In fact every Lowrance product I have owned, and I have owned many have all worked perfect. Mine worked fine before I did the update, and I really didn't even have to do it, but I wanted a few more "bells and whistles" that the update provides. I downloaded it to my PC from the Lowrance website, and then dowloaded it to an SD card. It was very simple to do, and the update gives the unit a lot more features. It's not the fact that your unit is already outdated, it's just that the software updates are needed for updated navionics chips ect. If I were you, I'd check the transducer for proper mounting, and update the unit. If that dosen't fix it, Id return the unit back to Lowrance or wherever you got it. My partner has had to return his unit for repair, and they have always taken good care of him. By the way. Yes you do have to have a seperate toggle switch for the GPS or you will end up with a dead battery.

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Just wondering, what do you have your settings on, and at what speeds are you losing bottom?
    I'm running max on ping speed and chart speed, with about 68% sensitivity, and I'm not exactly sure on the rest. I can get depth readings up to about 40 MPH. I can also tell that transducer placement means alot too.:wink:

5. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    is it a duel beam? if so that makes a difference in shallow water.

6. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Yes it is a dual beam. I am convinced that the mechanic does not know how to install these units. I had max ping and chart speeds with sensitivity anywhere from 50 to 98%. I may have stated it wrong. I didn't loose the bottom so much the unit was freezing up, doing nothing, it showed a frozen picture with no chart speed and no pings. I was running between 2.4 and 3.7 mph. I got no image at any sustained speed. The colors were almost unreadable, no defined, identifiable returns, IE bottom structure, no fish arches, unable to tell what type of bottom, mud, rock or sand. I knew what I was running over and approximate depths as I have fished this section of river for over 55 years. I looked at the transducer and it looked ok but hell I don't have a clue. I will take some photos and post them so you can see what I have and what is going on. I appreciate your help. When I get it back and install the new software I will restore it to factory settings and see if there is any change and go from there. I should get it tomorrow or Thursday so I should have photos up by no later than Friday. I sure am anxious, I just know there are some big blues in the Cumberland River that want me to come down and play.:wink: Oh! Mr T! I had spoke to you on a couple of threads you were on and you did not bother to reply. You can send the check to ............................................................................................................................

7. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Earl, I think your transducer is too high. Try to lower it just a bit and see if that works better. What type of boat do you have it on. Is it a flatbottom john? My Lowrance freezes up on me, but only when I go in reverse, or if I fish somewhere where there is alot of bubles, like a below a dam.

8. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    You could be on to something here. It is on a 2008 SeaArk 1660 modified vee. The transducer looks to be about 1/2" below the bottom of the boat. To lower it I would have to take it closer to the motor.

9. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    The middle of the transducer should be in line with the bottom of your boat. That's a starting point. You may need to adjust it. I had to lower mine just a little bit. But my boat will do 50mph and not loose bottom at all. The centerline is just below the bottom line of the boat.

10. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    I will try that and see what happens. Thanks.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    haha pretty funny. Just because your unit is "Brand New" does not mean it has not been sitting there for a few months on the self. Like all computer software they are constantly making upgrades and making it better with more options. I have the X25 and my screen will lock up with a sudden jump in water depth. Thats just a salt water feature that don't like freshwater from what I understand though. Also I have never heard of a shut off switch for your GPS. As far as running down your battery I just don't see it happening. Unless you happen to be running the unit off a spare battery that never gets charged ever. Maybe you need to spend a day on the water with someone that owns a sonar unit and knows how to work it.

12. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Also check to make sure the transducer wasnt installed in line with a row of rivets or a seam it can leave a trail of air bubbles,and that can cause big problems too

13. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I have the lcx 38c hd and the puck draws constant power if not on a separate switch. But like Josh said if there is a sharp drop off the unit will at times freeze up on you. I have not downloaded the upgrade yet but I am very happy with the unit. I do however have to re-mount my transducer more to the outside because I have an offset on the bottom of my boat that is causing me to loose reading at speeds over 7 mph. I will tell you that you do have to play with the settings in different water conditions, under sonar features go to the surface clarity of high medium and low, then there is one below that with the same setting, adjust those along with your sensitivity and it will give you a sharper image for your body of water.

I was fishing the Mississippi one day and went into a creek, I completely lost bottom because my sensitivity was too low and my color was not set right for that clearer water. Once I adjusted it everything was fine and I had to readjust it when I got back out on the river. There was a pretty steep learining curve with this unit compared to my last one and I am still learning how to use it. I will tell you that this unit once it is dialed in will help a lot with reading structure, bottom and fish.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There are two power connections for Lowrance units - one for the display unit and another for the NMEA 2000 network bus.

If you hard-wire the power connector for the NMEA 2000 bus directly to a battery, the GPS *will* run constantly. It draws very little current, but it certainly will "eventually" run your battery down if you let it.

The installation documentation is pretty clear that the NMEA bus power should be on a switch.

15. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    i got the Lowrance 27c and it's got up's and down's with it.i lose bottom alot mostly on high river current and muddy water.

16. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Maybe you need to contact Lowrance and find out that they have a recorded message on their 800 number telling their customers to be sure to have a shut off switch for the antenna because it does not turn off when you shut off your sonar unit!:crazy:

17. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Edited message is listed below, I hate this 7 minute rule, I can't think that fast, too old.

18. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    the manual say it.and i think it show to put a switch on the power wire

19. stringbean

stringbean New Member

State:
    va
    i was wondering under the sonar set up menu what option do you guys use. general shallow deep etc. im still trying to get mine set up for river fishing. and does any one else unit clutter up when in or on a shallow flat looking for fish

20. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    the gps does draw current and i think they have a new download to help with the unit locking up