LCD Fogging Up!

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by TN-CATFISHER, Mar 5, 2008.

1. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Has anyone every had a problem with the LCD on their finder fogging up? I have a Humminbird 535 that I've sent back for warranty repair twice now and it's still doing it. Is this normal? When it's cold out it seems to be the worst. The screen will get condesnsation under it and it's hard to read, and if droplets of water land on the screen, they will also get fogging rings around the droplets.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I had a lorance once that did this. The units are sealed and i would asume have nitrogen n them like rifle scopes. To make a long story short, Lorance wouldn't fix it and i trashed it and give a buddy the transducer.If it is still under warranted i would demand a new unit if i were you.

3. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    Where do you store the finder when your not using it?

4. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    I never remove it from the mount, but the boat is garaged.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've seen more humming birds do that than anything else. I switched to eagles and have had no problems. I sent a hummingbird back several times for the same problem. they never did get it fixed.

6. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    I would try keeping in the house at room temp. during storage. That has corrected the problem with every finder I have had.

7. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I had a cheap unit on my boat that would do this very same thing. It was because I always left it on the mount and outside. rspd507

8. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I store mine inside at room temp also and haven't had any problems.

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    One of my eagles does this. Both were always kept in the house. They are Eagle Ultra III, so being 14 years old may have something to do with it :smile2:.

10. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    john,ive had the same prob with my lowrance.i think its just the heat that the unit produces on the screen mixing with the colder air temp outside.it usually goes away with a lil sunshine and heat hitting the screen

11. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i leave mine in the mount if it cant take the outdoors it useless and id never buy another one i have a eagle now and it lives on the boat and works just fine,no problems with this one..

12. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Yeah, the problem I have with taking it inside, at least in the winter, is that temperature changes cause the condensation problems. If I keep it at room temperature and then take it out in 30 degree weather it will fog up so bad it'd be unreadable. True, if I wait long enough the fogging clears up, but it depends on how badly fogged it is. On days it gets really fogged up, I'll be dealing with it for the entire day.

I guess I'm going to call humminbird and ask them if they'll replace it. I'll let ya'll know what they say. It's interesting to hear that folks have had these problems with most different makes of fish finders. I guess I won't worry about shelling out the case for a lowrance if even they have had issues with this.

13. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I have a Humminbird 981 SI (discontinued) I bought it brand new last year, this past week it saw action for only the 3rd time ever, and it was fogging up almost every morning. I keep it indoors (just shy of under my pillow, for what I paid for it). Very frusterating problem, I'd be intrested in hearing what Humminbird told you about it..or if your found a remedy.

14. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    I did call them back and I'm shipping it back for the 3rd time now! I told them I wanted it replaced because I was tired of driving to the post office and paying for gas and shipping, not to mention the aggravation, and she said she'd ship me a shipping lablel, and now I have to package it up and take it to a fed-ex drop ship facility. Wow, I feel so redeamed now! :angry: Anyway, she said, they'd take a look at it and make a decision then. :roll_eyes: