Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, i just bought a tidewater reel. I got the 30 size. My first question is that it has what i call a lazy levelwind. It likes to get stuck on the sides after coming from the other side. I will cast it out and start reeling line back in but then it stops on the side, it will start moving again if i push it a little, but if i dont it will sit there all day. What is the problem and how can i fix it. The second question i have is that the reel says its a 30l, but according to the manual and line capacity it is a 20l. Any thoughts on these issues would be great. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Maybe i missed something here .. but he said he just bought it ?
just because its brand new out of the box doesnt mean you cant get a bad one that is defective happens to thousands all the time not all the products that you buy are going to work exactly the same he may have just gotten a bad one who knows but there are slight imperfections and one minor glitch in a computer system can make thousands of those reels with imperfections and or problems that need to be fixed prior to use

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
If it is a new reel, take it back and get another one.

The pawl will be on the bottom of the line guide on the level wind. When you look at the bottom of the line guide you will see a slot for a screwdriver. Unscrew the cap and the pawl will be in there. It may just be loose.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
the way i check the pawl on an older and well used reel is to take it off the rod and turn the reel upside down and begin reeling and watch the worm gear on both ends or particularly the end that is sticking look for imperfections or small cuts or grooves that arent suppose to be there the pawl is easy to replace take a flathead screwdriver and unscrew the small black cap on the level wind the pawl should fall out of there when you turn it back over but like dirtdobber said if its new take it back and get a new one no sense in spending money on parts on a defective reel

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
That is a common problem with a cheap reel like the tidewater, keep a few extra pawls on hand,,,I had a buddy go thru 8 in one year.

It even happens on more expensive reels, just not as often, I have had pawls on abu garcia baitcasters go bad, but only 2 in the last 10 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.