Lazer sharp??

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by grizzly, Jun 22, 2007.

1. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I recently bought a pack of eagle claw 6/0 circle sea hooks and even though the package says lazer sharp and warns against you sharpening the hooks, these were the dullest hooks I have ever purchased. I tried them right out of the package, let the rod load on many good runs and never hooked a single fish. Has anyone else found these hooks to be dull also. I bought them at wally world which is the only place with any [poor] selection within 60 miles. It took me over 10 minutes with a good file to sharpen 1 hook. I will try them again, but I don't have much faith in them.

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    my eagle claw Lazer Kahles are some if the sharpest hooks Ive used, straight out the box...

3. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    ive always had good experiences to...maybe u just got a bad batch

4. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Could have been a bad batch. I've always thought Wally World bought "seconds" to keep the price down. Even with the big "J" hooks I use on trotlines and such, I sharpen every hook before I use them. Just something my dad said" you can never have a hook or broadhead too sharp".

5. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    I've had good luck with them. Although, I don't think they hold up to stumps and log hang ups, seems easy to bend the point. Then I have problems getting a good hook set.

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    You can flip a coin and get the same results on whether the Eagle Claw hooks are sharp or not. Really it is that way with most hooks. It is hard to find hooks that are truly sharp straight from the pack. I keep a hook file in my tacklebox to touch up the dull ones.

Cheez

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I never buy much of anything like that at walmart....This is what happens.....Say Eagle Claw for example....The have inspectors that walk the line inspecting hooks by the "lot".....If a bad batch of hooks is found.....The whole lot is put aside and sold to walmart...Now, he/she may have found the bad hooks at the "end" of the lot, or the beginning.....So, walmart may buy all bad hooks, 50% bad hooks, or that may have been the only pack of bad hooks in the "lot".....When you buy at walmart, you're taking a chance on something being bad....So, look carefully when you buy, regardless of where it's at.....Dwight

8. codey72

codey72 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm not a big Eagle Claw fan so I just use 7/0 Gamakatsu Circle Octupus, They are the greatest!

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Yeah, that's what I use mostly, myself...I use the Eagle Claw L7228 circle, but the Gamakatsu is my main go to hook...Heavier hooks....I don't use any circle that's not "inline".....No offsets for me.....Dwight

10. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    The #2 "J"s and kahles seem to be OK for me. Of course, you should always do the thumbnail test (GENTLY draw the point across the thumbnail; if it's sharp enough, it'll feel sticky) before you use the hook.

-- Rich

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The eagle claw kahles that i use are always sharp straight out of the box. I buy all of them through catfish connection.

I bought one box of eagle claw circles ( size 7/0 ) from walmart to try and they are the worst hooks i've ever seen. They are dull and will simply cost you fish.

I purchased some gamakatsu circles ( size 8/0 ) from catfish connection and they are sharp straight out of the box and work well.

12. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I use Egaleclaw L-42,4# widegap hooks. I have never had a problem with any of them. I never knew that about Wal-,Mart. Iam glag I don't buy my hooks there.

13. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    I have used the lazer sharp hooks myself and they are so sharp I had to have it removed from my hand. I guess I should pay more attention. Mama did say dont run with scissors I guees hooks should be included. But yes they were very sharp.

14. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I used lazer sharp until I bought a package of Gamakatsu hooks and to me there is a big difference. I still have some eagle claws left and still use them. When I need to buy more I'll buy Gama's. They are more expensive but well worth the extra money.

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    may have been gar loading up on your rod they are almost impossible to hook on a circle.ive gotten hooks from all over and ive found about the same good and bad hooks all over.

16. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Here's the Gamakatsu Site and the Octopus Circle hooks I use, which is inline/non offset, either with straight eye or upturned..... www.gamakatsu.com/catalog/octo_circle.htm

I would choose a hook that comes in at least a 25 pk....Just my opinion....Dwight

17. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    No, poisonpits it wasn't gar. I was in a friends pond that is full of 3-5lb channel cats. And of course turtles. But the runs weren't tutles, they were long hard runs, and we were catching cats on the other poles. I am near Searcy, so Wally world is the only choice unless you go to Little Rock or maybe Conway. I bought some kahles last year at Bates Field&Stream in Conway and did ok with them on trotlines last fall. The kahles were no name hooks in a zip lock bag and the eye is in line with the hook, not crossways like every other hook I've ever seen.