Laying in my cot last night

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by richard dunbar, Jun 29, 2007.

1. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I remembered a fishing trip I took with my uncle Dave when I was about ten. My two cousins had gone to Texas that summer to visit they're grandparents and I was stuck at my aunt and uncles house for the summer by myself with no playmates. I lived in California then in the Bay area about 20 minutes east of Oakland in the city of Concord. Well it was 20 min. then but its probably an hour and twenty now. My uncle used to take us out to the Delta once in awhile so we could go fishing. The bullheads, blacks, and browns were plentiful then. We left Saturday morning and went to Tracy to a place called paridise. All the Delta is tidal so the water rose and fell every 8 or so hours. We used clams for bait and tossed out in the channel. It was'nt 5 min before we caught our first fish, not large but it was about 2 lbs. Over the next 6-8 hours we caught about 20-25 catfish all between 2and 5 pounds. By the time we finished the next morning we had 3 stringers full and 1 about half full when my uncle told me to pack everything up and get ready to go. So being the good nephew I was I grabbed 2 of the full stringers and took them up to the truck. He told me no not the fish because we were gonna stay longer and fish a bit more. I took the 2 stringers back down and tossed them back in the water. I then started fishing again. After about 30 min I hooked into a monster of a fish, I was only fishing about ten feet away from were I put the stringers back in the water. I yelled for my uncle to come help me but he was further up the bank realing in a fish of his own. After fighting this monster fish for what seemed like forever at my age I finally landed it. It was a striped bass the largest I had ever seen. My uncle said it went 40 pounds. Now heres the kicker, inside the mouth still hanging out was one of the stringers I had just put back in the water not 30 min earlier. Some how that fish grabed it and started swallowing the fish and got the stringer loose from the shore, course I was ten and probably did'nt secure it very well in the first place. But thats one memory I will never forget. I just wish we owned a camera back then. that was 28 yrs ago next month.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    40# striper ain't nothing to sneeze at!!Great Job.
    How many of the fish did he manage to eat?

3. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Wonderful memories Rich, Thanks for sharing it with us. Its wonderful to take a walk down memory lane sometimes. Be Safe, and take care. Hugs to ya bro. Your always in my prayers.

4. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice story......thanks for sharing!

You always remember great times like that!

5. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Thanks for sharing bro!!!!

6. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    that was a good read, thnx for sharing it with us.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great memories Rich, thanks for sharing.

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    thanks for the story

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Thats a wild story!:crazy: That Striper was tryin' to eat the motherlode!

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Rich great story.....I've lived my whole live in the bay area just recently moved to the central valley, and yes there is some GREAT fishing in the delta for that much there is great fishing all over northen cali.

11. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Shoot I dont know, that was 28 yrs ago. I'm not even sure it was really 40 pounds but thats what I remeber my uncle sayin. cuz think about it I was 10 and fightin a monster fish. If he did'nt have my drag set just right I woulda never saw her and the stringer hangin out her mouth

12. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.

Rich:

Sounds to me like you innocently learned about deadbaiting at an earlier age than most of us.

Nice story.