Laws On Using Trout For Bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by RebelMan, Apr 4, 2007.

1. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

I want to use trout for bait but whats legal and illegal about using them? I've heard you cant use them at all, i heard you can use them only if you buy them from bait shops, and other things. Can anyone help me out?

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Adam i don't know about PA. but in N.Y. its illegal. Your best source of information would be the PA D.E.C., which should have a website.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Rebelman - I misplaced my 2007 Pa. Fishing Summary that comes with your fishing license but I have the 2006 booklet and if you still have yours refer to page #6 where it clearly states "Legally taken gamefish may be used as bait."

4. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Sounds good, next weekend is trout season here, when i go fishing i hope i catch some small ones (something you will never hear again:cool2: )

5. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    I am over in Ohio and am thinking about freezing some legally caught trout for cut bait. <<Checks Ohio fishing regs and it says nothing illegal about using previously caught, stocked rainbow trout, as cut bait>> I hear they are oily which can only mean more scent. Gotta love OLN/Versus for teaching how to catch bait.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If your state pamphlets are anything like ours, it states that they are just a summary and not necessarily the "Law". It tells us to go to a Library and check out the actual state statutes as they may vary from what is in the pamphlets. Think I would mail a letter off to the state wildlife department asking for clarification, and if they respond you can use them for bait, put the letter in your tackle box. LOL

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    In PA, you can use trout as long as you catch it on rod and reel.

Flatheads love them.

Only problem is keeping them alive.

8. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Trout can be used as bait as long as caught by legal means and they are of legal size.You can use trout also if you have a receipt for them. I have caught some of my biggest flatheads on trout.

9. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Would rather eat the trout i catch.

10. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    this summer ill be drifting the heads and trails of all the trout i keep for big stripers and channels on the delaware. save the guts 2, best bait ive ever used for the cats!! other then that i eat my trout unless they are real small and wouldnt survive if i let them go.

11. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    This saturday after I get done catching my trout, I plan on taking them to the river to try my hand for cats. They will most likely be dead by then, so should I hook em whole or cut em up? I've never used trout for bait before, but most of my big suckers that die on me I just leave whole. Is there something about the colder water temps that would turn the cats onto cut or live bait? If anyone else is planning to use trout for bait, I'd like to know how you guys did. I'll post my results Sunday.

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jason - I used cut Trout for Channel Cats last week. The way I did it was I cut about a 3/4" slice out of the body then split it in half and put in on a size #2 eagle claw hook. I poked it on about 3 times guts n all. The skin is what holds it on the hook. The Channels really liked it and 1 Trout lasted a whole evening. Use the whole fish. The head works good also but may have to go to a larger hook. The cut seems to be the way to go in colder water. Jigerjim is the one who schooled me with that great advice! Once things warm up and the Flatheads start feeding then live trout are awesome! I know Catchinghogs has done well using whole dead Trout for Flatties although I personally don't have much experience using them whole. The few times I tried it seemed fished picked the carcass clean and I would reel in nothing but the skin without getting a bite I could do a hookset on. I will try again this year and see what happens. I think the cut Trout is very effective cause of how oily it is.

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Fillet the trout for dinner & use the scraps for bait.

14. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Hey Scott I think the hole trout is scrap:big_smile: Cat's love it.

15. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I love using trout for bait. I always use them whole just hook them in the head. The one thing about using trout is that I always get fish that play with the bait so a trailer hook is an option also. Lat year I froze alot of trout and used them for bait I like to call it filegt mignon.I have caught my 2 biggest flatheads a 40 and 39 pounder on live trout.here is a picture of trout that has seen better days.

Attached Files:

16. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    i agree trout are one of the best baits for cats especially in the spring. 8 inchers are the best.

17. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Yea and this state has plenty of them:eek:oooh:

18. drinkmoremilk

drinkmoremilk New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    you know what they say, if you aint cheatin you aint tryin....jj

19. catchinghogs