Laws, I have trouble keeping track of em all

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by catman529, Dec 28, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have to admit I'm not so good with knowing all the fishing regulations. I don't know if certain things are legal, such as noodling. I'm sure electrofishing is definately illegal, but I don't know for sure. I know the web site, and the one thing I do know how to get to is the fish limits. I know the max. creel limit for black bass is 5, with no min. length. I know some of those, but there are so many laws, ordinances and regulations it is real hard to keep track of them all. Does anybody have this problem also?

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Sure do Jon that's why i always keep a fishing regs. manual in my tackle box.

3. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    Very well said Splitshot always keep a manual with you at all times i found they come in handy when your in doubt. i keep one in my truck for bank fishing and one in my boat and i can say there has been a few times i had too whip it out to check on a size or creel of a certain fish.

4. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    We have a very good problem in TN....so many different species you can catch on one trip...that's good! It's can be hard to remember the different minimum lengths and creel limits, though.
    i have lived in a few other states and believe me, there are a ton of states where the reg's are downright confusing. In Utah, they have slot limits on many lakes, size limits can vary on different lakes...and other lakes make you throw back certain species immediately upon catching them....very hard to keep up with. I used to print out the reg's for the particular lake i was goin to on a particular day...just so i knew what i could keep or not..lol :crazy:

cyas
    robert

5. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Luckily I'm not the type to fish for many different species during the same year or two, hard enough to try and figure out how to consistently catch just one species or two. I went through the white perch phase for a couple years, been through black bass phase, and currently returned to my roots - catfishing.
    So I follow the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) ... I keep up with the rules of the couple species I like to fish for. I fish just for them the way I know is legal and that I enjoy the most ... could care less about the rest (throw them back).
    Of course, this doesn't work if you fish for many different species at roughly the same time/year. :smile2:

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Jon, Good Post......you folks out East have it made with your regs. Here in California, we as stuck with DFG folks that don't do squat for us fishermen and hunters. We have regs for saltwater, and freshwater.... Striped Bass in the delta area is 2 fish over a certain length, On the Colorado River, no min size and no limit. Salmon fishing has closures on this river and not on others. We cannot use cast nets but can use a 30" scoop net to get bait.
    There is a limit on how many sand crabs you can have in possesion when surf fishing..
    We can only have two poles out (if you have a two pole stamp) and the maximun number of hooks is two. Trout season is kind of like dove hunting... and there are streams where it is catch and release only... No bait allowed, barbless hooks only... You are not allowed to take live game fish home with you..... You can't fish on this side of the road, but it is ok to fish on the other side.

Lots of tackle shops don't sell Licenses because of DFG regs, and they don't sell bait because of DFG regs...

To darn many rules.....and regs..."we must obey them.......or just dont get caught doing what they tell us not to do".

bayrunner ray

7. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Holy cow, that is too much, and california is where the biggest largemouth bass are caught... but that dosen't matter much to me, I'm fine with the smaller bass. reason I couldn't live there is because I can't live without a cast net.

How many sand crabs can you have in possession? is it 7.34 crabs per person? Will you get a 15-year jail sentence if you bring one extra cell of a crab?:crazy: :crazy:

Why not that side of the road, because the fish on that side are 0.0071% more endangered than the other side?

If you can't use a cast net but can use a scoop net, tie a line to the end of the handle and add weight around the net. Then throw it like a boomerang and it is sort of like a cast net.:eek:oooh:

:crazy:
    hope you still can have fun fishing.
    tight lines, and happy new year

8. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    there sure are a lot of regs the only place i ever see any enforced is around the trout streams

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I keep a copy of the regs in my tackle box too, because I have a bad case of CRS.