Laws about fishing from bridge

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by StiffPole, Apr 8, 2009.

1. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Does anyone know what the law is, as far as fishing from a public bridge over a creek, or stream? I have been hitting them here lately for bait. Every time I see or hear a vehicle coming I figure it is someone wondering what I am up too. Most of the time they just drive by, and sometimes stop and ask if they are biting, except at my regular spot that I have been using for the last three or four years. There is some guy that has to be at least 75 years old, stops and ask me who I am, where I am from and what I am doing there. As I am standing on a bridge, with a rod and reel in my hand. He has stopped every year, but never said I couldn't be there. I'm not talking busy roads, these are gravel roads, out in the middle of no where. I was wondering where the law stands on this.

2. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K

3. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    Stiffy,
    if you're out on gravel roads i would'nt worry about it.i WOULD be prepared to jump off if the town drunk comes driving down the road though!!:crazy::smile2: as for the old man,id have some fun with him and just come up with some off the wall stuff.ya know i dont know where ya live, but i know an old fart that makes the best fish jerky and is drunk 99% of the time and likes to hang out around bridges.he lives out by Milford but could be found driving anywhere.if its him,i'd watch out.....he's a crazy person:crazy::wink::smile2:

4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    You ain't gettin none either:eek:oooh::smile2: Caleb.

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    George, when they rebuilt the bridge over the Republican River North of Wakefield (Broughton Bridge), they have a sidewalk on one side with a barrier between it and the road(blacktop), the river side as widened areas with fences, just for fishing(?). When the river is running the place is shoulder to shoulder with Catfishermen. There are no signs that state it's for fishing, but obviously designed and constructed for it.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the old man either, probably checked you out to see if you had a cooler full of beer, didn't see it, so he left.:smile2::smile2:

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    If there is no sign that says anything about it, Id do it. As for this guy hassling you, getting in your business, if it was me, Id snap back "minding my own business". I cant stand it when people act like cause they dont know you, you shouldnt be there.

7. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

I used to fish off a bridge back in the hills. The only time I ever had a cop/CO stop was just to make sure I wasn't up to no good and to make sure I got out of the way if a car was coming (kinda on a blind turn). But I would have people stop every once in a while to ask what I was up to. They were always real nice and I just figured they were checking to make sure somebody wasn't snooping around by their house. Dont really blame them. I would say, as long as he is cool with you, just be nice to him and tell him what you are up to. Dont make it look like you have something to hide.

8. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was fishing off a bridge once east of Augusta, Ks and a sherriff pulled up and said i couldnt fish there. He said it was private property, the guy to the south owned the water to the middle of the road, and the guy to thenorth owned the other half. Nothing was posted on that gravel road, so i just moved on to the next bridge hopeing i didnt run into the cops again.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    creeks are private property even though your on public property and im pretty shure the owner can tell you to move it along, best to ask the land owner. usually if they are too conserned they will put sighns up. i believe they have to give you one warning before taking any leagle actions so take your chance if you want but if your told to get best not return, and permission is usually better than forgiveness when using someones stuff.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, I guess you can be rude to anyone you want to... but it may well be that the old coot is the landowner and after talking to you he allows you to fish. Get uppity with him and you may get some paper from a sheriff or game warden. It always, and let me repeat that, it always pays to be polite while fishing.

11. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Yeah, the old man is just comical, but i have been taking alot of bait out of that spot for three years now. The first year I told him who I was and explained to him that I was only there for bait, and was planning on fishing somewhere else. the following spring I told him that my name was still the same, and I still lived about five miles from there. Last year when he asked, my reply was: " You know, I have told you who I am and where I am from twice now, but I still don't have a clue who the hell you are. He then simply asked if i was doing any good. I said yeah that I had a few bluegills, 3 or 4 bullhead, and one chub. He asked if they had any size to them. I said yes, perfect flathead size. He asked what the bullhead are as big as a flathead? I shook my head and yes, a small one, about 7 or 8 pounds. He told me to have a good one, and I haven't seen him again. But like I said, I have been getting bait from that little creek for three years. There are lots of other little creeks close that should be just as productive, so maybe I could give that spot a break for a season or two. I wish I knew a few of these old farmers around here with ponds. I was thinking about putting up a sign or two at the grocery store, and maybe Casey's stating that I would be willing to trade some eating fish for bait fish- or if they owned a pond but didn't like fish, I could "rent" the pond from them and put my traps in them. I never keep any of the fish I catch, but I guess it would be worth cleaning a couple of nice eaters for bait all summer.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well maybe you should drive around and go meet some farmers most will chat it up with you if they arent busy, you may even meet that old guy:wink:. you may get a no or two but i bet if you talk to them for a while let them know who you are what your after and that you wont trash their place and bring everyone in the county with you youll probally get a yes.
    where abouts in ks are you?

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Go to any small town that has a single gas station, a coffee pot and a couple tables. Hang out there about 8:00 am any morning and you will get to talk to all the farmers you want.

When I asked permission once to fish the river on one guys land, his wife told me sure, it's not like we own the river. They didn't realize that they do actually own the river.

14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    That's what's nice about the great state of Kansas.If you do a little leg work you can still gain permission on some prime fishing/hunting ground with-out paying big $$. All just for asking..

15. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I caught some good bait fishing off bridges. I've always been polite to the the police, land owners, or anybody who stops to talk. Never had any trouble or anybody tell me to leave. I always make sure there isn't a no trespassing sign though.

16. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Go to your courthouse, to the appraiser, or treasurers office. Ask about a "farm and home plat directory" aka plat book. They break the county down into townships and shows who ownes each farm in that township. They also show who lives where in those townships. Also in the front of the book is each landowners address and phone number. they cost around $20-$40 but are well worth the expense.

17. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Actually here lately I have been driving around "out in the sticks" alot. I never realised how many ponds was here in osage county. I usually don't see many people, or if I do they are busy farming, and I hate to bug people. I did happen to see two 'ol boys standing in a feild next to a nice looking creek. I stopped and asked if it would be a problem if I fished there from the bridge and he said "Fish from the bridge for bait? Hell, seine that water there right before that little dam. Youll be set for bait, and didn't spend much time doing it." So that worked out real well, as long as he really is the owner.:big_smile:

18. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    My philosophy too Brent, they run me off of one boat ramp, I go to another one,(only in the off boat season though) hoping they get tired of following me around:smile2::smile2:

19. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    You know technicaly there is an easment with all roads so the ground and water right at the bridges everywhere are owned by the state. Who owenes the state - that would be tax payers - I don't know about anyone else but I haven't found a way to get around taxes!!!:wink:

20. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    That may be true, but you are dropping your hook through their air to
    get to their water to catch their fish. According to those landowners
    who vibrate with hatred toward tresspassers and had the laws written
    in this way. I don't understand this line of thought so I may not have
    said it quite the way a lawyer would say it. I think we should have
    gone the route of saying that the state would be the titular owner
    of much of the rivers or creeks in Kansas. But I wasn't alive back when
    they made these laws, so my opinion wasn't considered, of course.