Lawrence gps lake map

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by powercat, Jan 30, 2007.

1. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    Santa bought me a new Lowarance 332c fish finder with gps and I need help in selecting a lake map system to go with the gps. I will be fishing LOZ. If you have a map system you are satisfied with I would appreciate hearing from you.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have not played around with it yet. But I just got the navionics hotmaps 2007.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    As Josh says, the Navionics HotMaps Premium is the best quality map currently available -- the 3007 edition that just came out includes new high-definition maps of LOZ and Truman, which ought to be a huge improvement over the previous maps.

However, if you don't need the absolute latest maps available, the 2006 Hotmaps Premium is still available from many sources for a lot less than the new one. The 2007 map chip is around $150 but the 2006 is around $99 or so.

Make sure your unit supports the Navionics maps before you spend your money - I'm not certain the 332C does, but the manual will tell you for sure; if you can't find it in the book, call Lowrance support.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have the 2006 edition. How much better is the 2007 edition for Truman and the LOZ?

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I haven't seen the 2007 maps yet, but they should have 1 ft contours of the *entire* lake. The Navionics folks bring an armada of boats to the lake and criss-cross it, recording the sonar data, then build new maps from that data.

The older maps have 10 ft contours that weren't particularly accurate - there have been *many* instances on Truman and LOZ where the map shows me (for example) crossing a 26 ft contour line and the sonar shows it being 12 ft deep for a long time before and after crossing that contour line.

My only worry is that 1-ft contour lines might end up being "too much" information - zoom out very far and you won't be able to make heads or tails of the data as the lines will be packed so tight.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Correct my chip cost 150$ but it came with a 50$ rebate. So it ended up being the same as the 2006 chip.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If anybody gets the chance please look at 2007 Santee (Marion/Moultrie) and see what the contour interval is.Thanks ahead of time.:smile2:

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    As soon as I get my AC/DC adapter I will be able to view it from within the warmth of my house. I'll let you know then Jim... The boat has it's cover on and the temp was 6 degrees when I woke up.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Josh, I'd like to know about the detailed map for Moultrie, too. Maybe you could take a photo and post a sample. I've been thinking of getting the '07 version, but I've already got two chips, and don't know if it's worth the money for the more detailed new one.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I think Josh has the South chip and the lakes you fellows are interested in is on the East chip...

The Navionics web site indicates that the Santee Cooper map is the new high-definition type: http://www.navionics.com/PremiumLakeList_07.asp?RegionID=3

You might contact Navionics and ask them if they can send you a screen dump comparing the old version and new version of the maps.

11. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    The 332c supports the Navionics maps. I've been running with the 332c on my boat for the last year or so. I also have the Navionics hot maps premium from 2006. I have the west coast edition of the chip with all my local lakes.

Get it. You will love it.