Lawrence blues?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by bluebasser86, Aug 16, 2018.

1. bluebasser86

bluebasser86 Active Member

State:
    Lane, kansas
    Name:
    Clayton
    I've never fished the Kansas River up as far as Lawrence but considering giving it a try on Friday. Does anyone ever catch any blues up that far or is it mostly flatheads and channels? I've caught some blues around DeSoto so I'm sure a few would make it up there but wasn't sure if they were a rarity or fairly common.

Catpaw likes this.
  2. bluebasser86

State:
    Lane, kansas
    Name:
    Clayton
    There's blues up there.

Attached Files:

3. arky

arky Well-Known Member

State:
    kansas
    Name:
    David
    Blues in the Kaw from end to end.

4. bluebasser86

State:
    Lane, kansas
    Name:
    Clayton
    I guess they probably are more prevalent with Milford having so many now and them getting into the Republican and into the Kansas River. Growing up near Manhattan we never saw any blues that I can remember, just lots of flatheads and channels (and gar, carp, drum, and sturgeon).

I was on my phone when I posted the pictures the other day so I didn't give any kind of run down. Launched my kayak in Lawrence. First time I'd ever done that, it's a lot further paddle than it looks on the map, and I got a real fast welcome from a well aimed silver carp to my calf. Trashed my net right away on some rocks but repaired it enough to catch a silver for cut bait. Never seen so many pancake sized softshell turtles in my life! I thought I'd hit the jackpot when my rods started bouncing right away, but I kept missing them, thought they were gar until the heads started popping up, dozens upon dozens of them. I got tired and moved to a different spot, they at least immediately started popping up there so I didn't waste time anchoring and setting my rods out. Last spot was a current seam on the edge of a sand flat. Had one good run that dropped it before I could get the rod out of the holder, next one came not long after that and I knew when it barely moved on the hookset that I was going for a ride. Dropped my rope float bottle and away we went down the river. She towed me for probably 5 minutes, few more dives at the side of the kayak before I got her flopped into the bottom and paddled back to the spot and beached for pictures and measurements for the kayak tournament I'm in. Set the rod back out and caught another decent little blue while I was taking pictures. Also found the skull cap of what I believe is an extinct bison that was nearly as wide as my fish was long. Both fish released to grow bigger.
    [​IMG]
    Cut her off a little in this picture but it was right at 39"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Jordan Robert Anderson

Jordan Robert Anderson New Member

Name:
    J.R. Anderson
  6. TonyInLawrenceKS

TonyInLawrenceKS New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Name:
    Tony
    I know there are blues down below Bowersock dam. I cant comment on the quantity but Id imagine it being a fairly good spot for blues. I've had 2 different friends catch blues that were in the 70-80lb range, just monsters! I only target Flatheads and I've really been considering altering my style of fishing to be more open to catching blues as well as flatheads so I can holefully catch more fish.

Brackish*Water likes this.
  7. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    that is awesome hooking a big fish in a kayak and getting towed

8. roobster

roobster New Member

State:
    kansas
    Name:
    Ruben
    I am fairly new to Lawrence and have been thinking of trying The Kaw for some blues... where can I net up some shad?

9. bluebasser86

State:
    Lane, kansas
    Name:
    Clayton
    IMO, the silver carp have surpassed shad as the prime cutbait for blues on the Kaw. I catch more and bigger fish on cut silvers, while shad just seems to get pecked by gar and white bass. I just net them in the faster moving water areas right below the dams. The congregate and are easy pickings. Dump them all on the bank and they'll start bleeding instantly. Just don't use them alive.

10. roobster

roobster New Member

State:
    kansas
    Name:
    Ruben
    Thanks for the advice. I really wanna get onto some good catfishing this spring and summer. All the shad I net up are small. I catch most of them at Clinton, never tried the river. Silver carp will be a great alternative! Any other good places for some cats?

11. VanKley

VanKley Well-Known Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    That river is loaded with trophy fish. Wet a line n have a time!