lawn mower blades

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by twilightman, Feb 26, 2006.

1. twilightman

twilightman New Member

ok hate to ask but could someone tell me the right way to sharpen blades with a bench grinder :eek:

2. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    A grinding wheel is good only for removing larger amounts of steel. Grinding is a better choice than filing if you have to get rid of nicks in the blade, or you’re trying to restore an especially worn blade. One strike against the grinder is that it may get the blade so hot that the temper (built-in hardness) of the steel could be ruined. If the steel turns a straw color, it’s done for. If you must use a grinder, keep a bucket of water handy to douse and cool the blade after every pass across the wheel. With practice, you’ll know how much grinding an edge can take before it gets too hot. For most of the grinding shown here, a coarse wheel will work fine.

You can buy all these sharpening tools at home centers and hardware stores.

Lawn Mower Blades: Sharpen And Balance
    The last time I tipped my mower on its side to remove the blade, I couldn’t get it started again. A piece of dirt got lodged in the carburetor needle valve, and I had to remove the whole carburetor and clean it to get it going. Another reason not to tip it on its side is you won’t have to deal with spilled gasoline. The best way to do it? Set your lawn mower on top of sawhorses to get at the blade.

Although it’s unlikely, the engine could start if you rotate the blade, so pull the spark plug wire before touching the blade. Once you remove the blade you’ll notice an edge about 3 in. long on each end of the blade. These are the edges you’ll be sharpening.

CAUTION:
    Never wear gloves, neckties or shirts with loose sleeves around a spinning grinder. Also, keep long hair tied up or tucked under a hat. Although the heat of the sparks isn’t intense, keep your hands clear of the direct spray of sparks from the grinder.

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    davesoutfishing has it right. As long as you have the blade off scrape the dead grass off the deck. This will help grass going out the chute.
    Bill:)

4. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've always used a disk grinder. I put the blade in the vice work on sharpening it. I think this a great way.

5. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    First off use a wire wheel and scrap off all rust and grass. Then I use a bench grinder and rough sharpen the rounded edges and balance the blade. Now I put the blade in my vise and use a file to hone edge.

I would suggest as above that you don't over heat the metal and that you don't alter the length or angle of the ground edge.

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a bench grinder. Try to sharpen it to look like it did when new without getting it too hot. Finish by balancing.

Walking mowers... I tip the mower up on it's side to remove the blade... been doing that for over 40 years and never had any problem. I also drain the oil the same way. In fact the manual says that is the correct way to do it.

Riding mower... I jack up each side at a time to remove the blades.

7. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    We always use a bench grinder too, they can be used for anything and they always get the job done, plus they save you a lot of money.

8. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    My way is similar to all the above, except;
    After "fine honing" I simply drive a nail or a screw into a post and hang the blade(s) on it. This will tell you if you have ground off the same off each side. Whichever side hangs lower then grind a little more till you have it balanced.

9. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I balance the same way as fwmud but I do it before I use the file to hone the blade that way I'm not grinding away my finished edge and having to re hone it or having to use a file to bring it into balance.

A big thanks to fwmud for filling in what I left out.

10. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I'm in the lawn care business and I sharpen all my own blades but I use, what they call GATOR BLADES, they are the best. I use a bench grinder to sharpen then balance it then hone it to a good sharp edge. If you tip your mower on its side, make sure you tip it on the opposite side as the carb.
    I'm buying a mower blade sharpener this year to make it sharpen blades faster and properly but the sharpener is quite expensive but I will save money in tghe long run.
    Gator blades can be purchased at your local lawnmower shop. They are the best on the market.

11. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    For my walk behind mower, I found the easiest way to sharpen the blade is to spend the $12 a year on a new one!! Probably not the cheapest route to go but I tend to nick them pretty badly over a season and don't think grinding that much off the blade would be my best option.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I like them french fried taters Um hum.

13. twilightman

twilightman New Member

thanks for all the info its a rider w/2blades and i have a little over an acre i used to just buy new blades but my money tree isnt working [neck surgery] oh and thanks for no what a stupid question as far as gettin under it my plan is to use my 4 wheeler ramps floor jack does sound safer though thanks

14. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I pull the deck out from under my Cub Cadet to sharpen or change the blades. If your deck comes off pretty easily, then you might be better off taking it off and flipping it over. I use an air impact wrench to take the nuts off and put them back on, and I scrape out all the gunk stuck inside the deck while I have it off.

15. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    If your lucky enough to have a power washer thats what i use to clean the underside of the deck.. if it's a rider don't forget to grease the bearings and other greasable parts..

16. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    When I sharpen my blades, I START with a bench grinder, then move to a file, and finally end using sharpening stones.

I suggest to any and all, each time you finish mowing your yard, clean out from under the deck. When mowing with a dull blade, or when you have a lot of build up under the deck, it reduces the mowers ability to make a clean cut and tends to tear the grass. When this happens, it causes the grass to loose some of its color and to not grow as well.

17. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I always used a regular file, of course I never had a bench grinder. As for cleaning the grass out from under the lawnmower, momma always made me do it about every other time I cut the grass so that is what ive always done.

Me and my brother had to cut and weedeat 3/4 of an acre of grass every week from about march to october and that is hard on a push mower. Even in the winter we had to cut grass 1-2 times a month :sad: Good thing about the condo im living in now is no yardwork, bad thing is no yard to enjoy