Law Breaker?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Doyle, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got to check my hitch. Local law people are giving tickets to vehicles that have hitches sticking out. I may be a law breaker.:angry:

625 ILCS 5/12-614 new

Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Provides that a person may not operate or permit to be operated on any highway of this State a vehicle with a trailer hitch that extends more than 4 inches beyond the rear of the vehicle, unless that vehicle is towing another vehicle.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thats crazy ,just another way to gouge for your money

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    What the Heck! must be the shin-buster law!

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Yeah, we'll see how long that lasts when mr. trooper needs to go vacation and gets a ticket of his own or do they "look out" for one another? We'll see huh? Maybe its because the hitches in question dented the mayors car or someting so after a fit a new law. Well whatever the reason just be sure to get the kind of hitch that has the cotter type pin on it so you can remove it fast and visa-versa and you should be good. JMO

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Doyle I was not aware of the new law. We have a state game warden that is ticket crazy. He will be going around measureing every ones. Maybe it is an up-north thing. Ha. Ha.:0a31: :0a22:

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    They seem to be afraid of anything over 4 inches long....:big_smile:
    It's just envy.

7. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm going to laugh if i see wardens this summer measuring hitches with a ruler.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sounds like a sticker to me. Guessing someone could rear-end you. And the hitch could cause them more problems. But then again. Its just a crazy law. LOL
    Pete

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It probally stems from parking lots and parallel parking.

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i would agree , i believe thats where the reece hitch serves its best use removable

11. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    It is just another way for them to get your money .If somebody gets that close to the back of your truck there probaly going to hit you anyways.

12. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    next thing you know you wont be able to drive with tailgate down or is that already a law?

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm just speculating but I imagine the insurance companies introduced this legislation.

Kind of a stupid trivial law if you ask me but most of us dont leave our hitches in the receivers. Atleast I dont. Parking lot thugs like to claim them as their worldy possesions atleast until they can sell it at the pawn shop for a buck o five.

Cruising in Benson NC was something that was started on wagons and buckboards and progressed through my great uncles and aunts, mom and dad and my generation.
    I remember getting slightly bumped in the rearend at a stoplight cruising by a 1986 Monte Carlo SS.
    He wouldnt have a had a scratch on his beatiful machine had it not been for my hitch. Instead he had a perfect 1-7/8 hole in his front valance. Had you wanted to to cut such a design in a front valance you couldnt have done it this perfectly. No damage whatsoever other then a neat hole.
    It still cost him a whole bumper.
    No harm or foul and no police. Daddy was a tobacco farmer, a bumper was trivial.

14. firefighteremtb78

firefighteremtb78 New Member

State:
    IL
    It could be a good thing to a point. I pulled into a Burger King drive thru one day and I thought I was far enough from the truck infront of me. I was wrong his hitch went through my radiator. I had a good space between his bumper and mine but the hitch stuck out too far. He laughed at me and I was pissed. So I could see if your just driving around It really doesnt need to be on there. I have always taken mine off when I had one.

15. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Easy way out.Ask him if he saw the trailer that was just back there.:big_smile:

16. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds like someone must have not been paying attention and walked into one. My thoughts are if you are not paying attention the maybe you should loose a little skin. DAMN IT HURTS THOUGH.

17. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    if people have a problem with hitting hitches I would have to say you are to close .what makes peaople think they need to be 6 inchs from the back of your truck anyways ? If somebody is tailgateing me I hope they hit my truck cause I cant stand when somebody is right on my bumper!

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Thats why I say it comes from parking lots , parallel parking, and insurance companies.
    Remember this SUV craze we have been in? Alot of these vehicles are monstrous.

Then look at parking lots. Building codes require a certain number of parking places for a McDonalds a Home Depot etc. So what do they do? they make the spaces smaller to make more spaces.
    Its not uncommon to not be able to walk inbetwen the front ends of a row of vehicles these days if they have their vehicle in the space correctly.
    Width wise, the spaces are atrocious if you arent driving a Honda Accord.

Bumper to bumper damage in a parking lot would be minimal.
    A trailer hitch can do alot of damage at parking speeds
    Instead of a scuff, you got a damaged bumper, possibly an airbag deployment if it gets a sensor,and radiator damage.
    That bump of a removeable trailer hitch can cost thousands if an airbag deploys.

All of the above plays into a big reason I take a hike to Walmart and make mama take the hike too.
    Vehicles cost too much these days to be parking where everyone else wants to. Where I park I can park crossways, upside down, on 2 wheels, or correctly and it wont matter.

19. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I agree with what you say about parking lots and a hitch does do alot of damage . but should you really be able to get a ticket for it I dont think so .Istripe parking lots for a livin with my bussines and they are starting to change specs like in Arnold mo they changed them to 10 wide and 20 feet long but in most places they are still 9 x 18 hard for a truck to get in to. in stead of giving tickets more countys should just change the specs of parking spots.

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Oh I agree entirely.
    You see here, if it hangs out of your vehicle over 3 feet you have to flag it.
    This law would equate to, you cant haul 12 foot 2x4s in an 8 foot bed.

What is the difference? hitch or lumber?
    Definately its insurance company driven legislation in order for them to save money but I bet the same time this was introduced an insurance rate hike was presented to the state insurance commissioner.