Lavon, drifting blue catfish

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by FishBrew, Dec 18, 2006.

1. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Drifted Lavon yesterday, no monsters but some solid fish. Started drifting around 7, by 11:30 the five biggest fish had a total weight close to 90 lbs. Caught around 25, one channel, the rest blues. The fat guy with the shades is me. Water temp 51 degrees, fished 22 to 26 foot deep, drifting over submerged humps.

Attached Files:

2. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    couple more pics, same day

Attached Files:

3. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Must have missed the invite cause i would sure love to help you catch some of those bad boys.

4. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    :tounge_out: You are making me hungry.

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Very nice fish there bro, congrats on the catch.

Wheelmobile07

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Looks Like a Good Trip Jason, Glad to see a fellow Brother puting some in the boat. Mostly all frozen over here in Iowa.Congratulations. J.D.
    :dribble:

7. bobcat

bobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Did any of them fish have any ticks on em?:big_smile: Good catch.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jason thats what I call a good day on the water. Thanks for sharing the pics.

9. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    On Lavon, they are getting close to having ticks on them, lake so low that the only two ramps open are the ones that were built BEFORE the raised the lake level ... back in 1974. Those two ramps are below (lower) than the two ramps built in 74 that are closest to the Dam.
    On the northern end of the lake, the bridge on hwy 3286 at normal pool probably has around 10 - 12 foot of water under it, this spring it had maybe 4 foot under it. At normal pool the lake bed runs about 2 miles NORTH of that bridge. When you drive across that bridge today and look SOUTH, it's maybe a mile before the water starts.
    It's not a big lake to start with, surface area of the lake according to USACE is 21,400 acres at normal pool, I doubt if it much more than 10,000 acres now, if that much. I have been on tha lake when 45 to 50 foot of water was not hard to find, but over the past two weekends, I have drifted the "big" water near the dam on three different days ... deepest sonar reading yet, 26.5 feet.

10. bobcat

bobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Fishbrew, Know what you mean. If we don't get some serious rain soon will have to keep boat on trailer. There are two ramps still open on RC but they are having much problem on keeping them open. Fishermans Point just finished dredging for the second time$$$$$$$. Oak Cove is in the process of dredging again$$$$$. Ramp fees going up Oak Cove $8 and Fishermans Point $6. May go higher. It's getting costly may have to start buying fish at the market when freezer runs dry. Naw just have to start bank fishing again. Just hate to see new boat setting up. Just got 8 hours on rig. May have to go to Limestone or Somerville. Heard they are catching some nice fish there. Just hate to make that move. Hope yall have a safe and merry xmas and a happy new year your way. Till later!:byebye:

11. brent

brent New Member

State:
    texas
    when lavons new pipeline is done it will be in better shape. down side is that may be another year

12. koondawg

koondawg New Member

State:
    texas
    Daryl and I fished Lavon yesterdity on the North end, He had caught a 40lb blue the day before in 5ft of water with cut shad. The wind blew hard, to 30mph, I was glad we were in his big boat, a 24ft Sea Pro, and it was still rough as the rollers started in the afternoon, the bite was slow and timid. I was wishing I had fished RR instead. WE ended up with 4 dinks. I was ready to go to the house at the end of this trip after battling the high wind all afternoon. The boat ramp was narrow and difficut.

13. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas

Its not fat! It is preperation for the cold winter months! Keeps you warm man!!! I too have been preparing for cold weather for quiet some time!! LOL

14. Mr Mudcat

Mr Mudcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Awesome fish, nice job!