Laurel Lake Cats???

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Aceoky, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Aceoky

Aceoky New Member

State:
    Ky
    Any information (especially around Grove Marina area) for catching some decent catfish (quantity over really large fish would be great), want to take the youngest and wife out on the boat for some in that area ASAP

Thanks in advance!!

2. CatMaster3

CatMaster3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well ive fished laurel lake but not out of grove marina. I fished out of holly bay i think it was. We used shrimp and leeches and caught a mess of channels and blues. Might help a little:big_smile:

3. Aceoky

Aceoky New Member

State:
    Ky
    Thanks, that does help (confidence booster at the very least) :smile2:

Night or day? Any more details? Structure depth etc???

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good luck didn't know about a catfish population I thought it pretty much was a Bass , Trout , Walleye lake looking forward to the report !:big_smile::cool2:

5. Aceoky

Aceoky New Member

State:
    Ky
    Hoping to go Thursday night , and see how the wife and I do on our first night trying Laurel for Cats!

6. CatMaster3

CatMaster3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Actually to tell you the truth i really dont remember how deep it was.. We fished a flat up by cane creek (I think??Sorry ive only fished the lake once and i dont really live close at all) that seemed to have a stump bed at the bottom. We tried fishing the really deep water and had no luck at all. We fished from 5:30 to 11:30 PM..Had the most luck by that stump bed or big fallen structure down at on the bottom.

7. Aceoky

Aceoky New Member

State:
    Ky
    Thank you very much!! Hope to go tomorrow night :cool2:

8. Aceoky

Aceoky New Member

State:
    Ky
    Went to Laurel caught a few eating size channels, tried a bunch of bait but nightcrawlers were the ticket (or seemed to be then) Thanks for the tips!

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky

How many is a few eaters ? What other baits did you try ?

10. Aceoky

Aceoky New Member

State:
    Ky
    We only tried nightcrawlers , chicken liver, shiners and minnows, a "few" would in this case be four LOL .......a small KY bass and a huge carp were also caught by me. Should have got out the "Catfish Dynamite" I suppose with some other "stink baits" but didn't (hindsight is 20/20 ) :big_smile:

11. cyncitycat

cyncitycat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i fished there back in thespring using shad i caught that morning around the dock . I would find gravel red clay banks then when i marked fished i would anchor up we caught several good cats and some good small mouths