Launching in heavy current by yourself?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Seth, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I know some of you guys fish the big rivers by yourself. How do you go about launching the boat on your own and keeping it from floating off and all of that good stuff?

Do you just tie a rope back to your trailer or do you launch the boat, bank it, then get out and pull the truck up and park?

I would like to start fishing some of the faster flowing rivers around here, but alot of times I can't get anybody else to go with me so I would have to launch and do everything on my own. My dad says you HAVE to have two people to launch in heavy current.

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I launch, I launch the boat, bank it, then get out and pull the truck up and park... An ex-buddy of mine did the rope tie thingy...both methods work. Circumstances will dictate...

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    people who are wrapped up in themselves make very small packages.

3. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I usually tie mine to the tailgate with enough slack for the boat to drift off the trailer. Then I pull up just a little and tie the boat to the bank and then park my truck. But if it is at all possible, I would suggest that you at least try to get someone to go with you especially when there is alot of current.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Jeb Told You Stright.Also I would highly recommend that You are wearing a Life vest while you are launching and putting your boat back on the trailer!!!We Shure don't want Anything happening to You Brother.Your Friend. J.D.
    :big_smile_2::byebye:

5. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    rope in front of boat is 3 foot longer than the trailer. tie rope to crank handle and put slack on the front of the boat. Back down and gently pull boat back to ramp with truck. Works for me.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Back the boat into the water, then I get in the boat unhook it from the trailer and back the boat off the trailer. Bank the boat and throw the anchor onto the bank. Just reverse it for putting the boat onto the trailer. Don't make things more complicated then it should. Heavy current or on a lake it's all the same.

7. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I take the boat winch out of gear pull out about two feet of strap, then put the winch back in gear. I'll back the boat in until it floats up from the back of the trailer but is still attached to the front. Then I take the winch strap loose get into the boat and back it off of the trailer. Put the boat on the bank throwing out your anchor, tie to a tree ect; Then drive your truck out. Hope this helps

8. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    You guys have it bad, in the summer everyone of our local ramps on the Ohio have a dock to pull up to.I just launch and tie off on the dock. then go park the boat and then walk back to the dock and off I go. If you have some good friends or catfishing clubs in your area, maybe you guys should talk to the local government and see about adding a dock or see if you could take a collection up from the community to get one added. Vern

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Launching the boat is easy. Getting the darned thing back on the trailer in heavy current is the real trick.

10. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Most fun I ever had ( and most exciting too ) was trying to get a pontoon back on the trailer in heavy current with a vicous side wind. Oh yea, make a mistake and you slam into the trailer. I'm sure pilots deal with it all the time but I don't fly! :lol:

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Seriously, Loading in extreme conditions can be made easier by adjusting the amount of trailer in the water. Lots of inexperienced boaters will put the entire trailer in the water and then try to load it. If the conditions are harsh it is best to leave a bit more of the trailer out of the water than normal. Vern

12. Cajun

Cajun New Member

State:
    Kolin, Louisiana
    I tend to agree with Tonto his idea works for me, just be careful and if you have side runners on your trailer it helps to load your boat. If ou put parifin wax on your runners your boat will come off easier....:wink:

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Vernon a great idea. But Illinois would try and charge you for taking up a fee for the dock. There after every penny they can get.:embarassed:

14. pamlee101

pamlee101 New Member

State:
    carrollton
    however you guys launch/retrieve when alone, just remember that when boating alone it is even more important to where your pfd and use your kill switch. not good at all if you fall out and your boat drives off without you. near impossible to catch fish that way.

have a good one