Laughing like school girls (James report 11-09-09)

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by bluecat69, Nov 10, 2009.

1. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Kdrennon7 and myself went out on the James Monday afternoon to try to catch some biggun’s. We set the net twice and had 8 nice big cutters so we went fishin. Tide was outgoing and it was a beautiful day with very little wind.
    We marked some nice fish around Deep Bottom by some structure on the bottom so we anchored up and cast our lines. Within 5 minutes we had our first fish (18 lb blue) in the boat and no sooner did we release that one we had our second fish on the line, a nice fat 28 lb blue. A few minutes later we boated a 12 lber and then nothing for about 20 minutes so we moved on.
    We fished a couple more spots on the out going tide but did not catch anything over 10 lbs. Once the tide turned we move to our favorite spot. Water was 8-14 ft deep,incoming tide and about 68 degrees.
    We caught a few nice 10-20 lbers before the sun started to go down but once the sun went behind the trees it was on.
    I had a rod go down so I grabbed it and started fighting the fish, once I got the fish close to the boat my buddy was headed to get the net when another rod went down. He told me that I was on my own cause he had a nice one also. I grabbed the net and landed the fish which was tangled up in another line. I finally get the hook out of the fish and out of the net and head to land his fish. With his fish in the net and another line tangled up in it also yet another rod goes down. At this point we are laughing like little school girls cause that is the first time in a long time that we’ve constant action like that.
    With two fish flopping in the bottom of the boat and another on the end of the line, Kenny releases those two fish and then we get the third fish in the boat. By this time the sun was down, we had no nav lights on the boat yet and still had tangled line that took a good 20 minutes to get straighted out.
    With all the lines back in the water and the nav lights put on the boat, oh and by the way we are still laughin about the choas that had taken place. Another line goes down, as Kenny was getting that fish close to the boat I reached for my headlamp which is only one color, bright white. I shine the light down on the water and the fish heads south as Kenny is telling me not to shine that light down there (as I have this big grin on my face) I shine the light back down in the water and watch the rod bent over double once again with the fish headed south once again. I figured that I had messed with him enough so I turned the light off and got the fish in the net.
    We continued to fish until about 7:30 with a few more fish and decided we had had too much fun already so we packed it up and went to the house.
    Total for the trip was 5- confirmed 32-38 lbers, at least 10- 20-30 lbers and numerous 2-20 lbers (which included 3 flatheads). All in all a great day on the water, no big ones (50 and up) were caught but we definitely had our fill of excitement.
    PS
    We did get a few pics which I will post once they are downloaded from the camera.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Micheal sounds like the kind of fishing trip we all want to have, everytime we go out :wink:

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    that would be a trip of a lifetime for me bro

4. CATFISHKKO

CATFISHKKO New Member

State:
    Chesterfield, VA
    hell yah mike sounds like yall had a helluva day on the river! always beats work and as long as you got plenty of timers ya cant go wrong congrats on the fish you needed it after your hiatus. Catch up with us sometime we gota go fishin hopefully huntin season wont cut into it too much.

5. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Thats great news. Thanks for posting. Looking foward to some pics. Ive heard alot of good fish coming out of the James river. I think I want to move there...

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Great report Mike! I'll take 5 citations any time.

7. kdrennon7

kdrennon7 New Member

State:
    VA
    here is some pix i'll put some more up

Attached Files:

8. kdrennon7

kdrennon7 New Member

State:
    VA
    here is some more. As you can see Mike can fish but sucks as a photographer.

Attached Files:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Michael Congrats and thanks for sharing this Awesome trip with us. WTG.

10. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    The Dynamic Duo's at it again lol. Good trip gentleman

11. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    Well done, sounds like an awesome trip out!!

Pete

12. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Thanks everyone. It was a great day of fishing.
    Ramon6 and myself will be headed out to battle the elements tomorrow. Kenny has to do that 4 letter word that we hate, WORK. Gonna get the bimini top on the boat today and make sure that my 100mph Gortex suit is ready to do its job.
    With flood warnings, high winds and 100% chance of rain it should be one heck of a day, fish or no fish. I am gonna stay out of the wind and in the back waters so it shouldn't be too bad.
    Will report back on results, hopefully with better pics since I ain't worth a crap on photo taking (thanks for airing that Kenny).

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  13. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    helluva trip fellas veryu nice job on the catches!! anyone would be proud to have a day like that.

14. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Hey, Kenny, welcome to the BOC! Thanks for a great fishing report, both of you.

:0a25:

15. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Thanks for sharing, what a trip, one that everyone hopes they'll have someday:smile2:

16. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I'm jealous I don't think all of my fish combined this year equaled up to 40 pounds. I'd like to talk the women into letting me come out there to go fishing some time. I guess I'll have to get in good with some of you guys so all I have to bring is gear. Good job guys

17. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I'm more than certain guys on here would take another brother fishing, myself included. Just throw some date(s) out there. You could also hire a guide, there is one on this board - Madtom.

18. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Thanks for the report. GAWD! I love that river!