Latest month you've caught a flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bigkane, Oct 22, 2009.

What's the latest month in the year that you've caught a flathead?

1. September

2. October

3. November

4. December

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Just wondering what is the latest month in the year you've caught a flathead?
    I can't vote, since I've yet to catch a flathead, but I'm still wanting to try before the year's over.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Its October for me. But I will try Novenber if weather permitting. Good luck on the quest for your first Flathead.

3. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    Have caught them ever month of the year... just have to change your presentation.... they still have to eat in the winter but as there metabolism slows they will not eat as often

4. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i agree with with redbone.and i have 2 places that the water temp. never drops below 70 easy to catch'm there.

5. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I've caught them year round,even through a hole in the ice which had to be quickly enlarged,but once the water temp drops below 50 your really wasting time as your chances of getting one to hit are pretty low. But it can be done by fishing smart and patiently,and you need to put the bait right in their face.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Actually, I have caught them in January. But again, remember that my water temps in early January can sometimes be as high as the low 50's.

7. You southern fellas might have a slight advantage with the winter time water temps. Up here it goes down to the low 30's. But I wouldn't mind trying to get a sleepy winter flathead just to do it.:roll_eyes:

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    voted November, but i may ahve gotten one in december...dont remember..seems to me october is the last decent month

9. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    September for me, I've heard of guys getting them in October. Not this year though as global warming has seemed to cooled off abit. I had 5" of snow on my deck on October 12th.....:crazy:

10. afishpatrol

afishpatrol New Member

State:
    indiana
    this one my buddy harvested on 12-6-08...central indiana.
    [​IMG]

this one i released, caught on 12-4-07 same central indiane lake. ice fishing jig/swedish pimple tipped w/minnow on 6#line med fast action spinning gear
    [​IMG]

here is a pic of my graph showing water temp that day mine was caught, and a large school of bait with white bass feeding on them
    [​IMG]

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught them in January and February fishing for saugeye on the river throwing twister tails. I have caught them on livebaits clear up till late December on small livebaits and cutbaits. I think they are catchable pretty much year round, but sometimes very difficult to target in the colder months! rollo

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    last year the last one i caught was nov. 2nd and that one was under 5#

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I usually call it quits by the end of October.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    In 2006, I caught one on November 6.

The past 3 seasons, they have shut off by middle of October.

Once Global Warming sets in, I should catch flatheads out of PA waters in December by 2020!:cool2::crazy:

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Man, I'm glad I live in AZ,, I fished all last winter every month right into this year..fishing was actually pretty good all winter,, and,, If they get scarce here,, I and Bubbacat have been considering Mexico!!! Not that far away,,, We don't speak Spanish, but, we speak Bluegill and Flatcat and Cervesa!!:wink::big_smile::smile2:

16. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Your making me jealous Greg!:sad2:

17. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    late oktober like damn near november but on a minner tipped jigg

18. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    I have caugth flatheads in dec.& jan. in below 40 de.water,my brother in law caught a 37lb flathead on dec.24 1997, he thought he was snagged up untill it started to swim off. the fish swallow it all the way he cut the line then released it:big_smile:.

19. bigmikeg

bigmikeg New Member

State:
    nebraska
    caught them walleye fishing in the missouri in feb

20. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    Feb 27 08 i caught 6 flathead from 5lb to 32lbs but i also fish a hot water lake :big_smile: