late season techniques

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Wil, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    do yall use any kind of estrus or rattling at all? ive never hunted after rifle and im wonderin on ways to get them to come my way

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Late season its usually all about the food. Even the bucks are tired after rutting. they need to put on the weight to recover and try to make it thru till spring. Hunt funnels between bedding areas and what ever food sources you have there. Becareful how you approach so you dont kick them out on the way to the stand.

3. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    thats happened but we have so many deer around that they usually show back up in the field but not this year.. idk its kinda wierd i dont live where i hunt at so i cant keep up on their changin patterns. i think i know a good spot though

4. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    like scott said food is a good bet,but bucks are still after does in your area so late season calling can be deadly.i used to hunt rulo nebraska and have killed several bucks there hot on does in december.

5. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    so calling is still a good idea then?

6. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    as in prerut bucks are again looking for hot does that are harder to find and calling is a good bet.set up on heavily used doe travel routes and the bucks wont be far away.

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    They're still getting after it around here. Watched two bucks fighting for 20 minutes last Saturday.

8. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    thanks ill try that

9. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just remember that pressured bucks are less likely to respond to calling.

Personally I save the calling until I can see a buck moving off in another direction as an attempt to change their mind about where they are heading. Right now in Indiana I have set back up on the edge of a cut corn field. The deer are trying to fatten up before winter really sets in; and if the does are present, any horny late season bucks will be there too.