Late season River flats

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by maddogusmc1391, Jan 22, 2009.

1. maddogusmc1391

maddogusmc1391 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Does anyone have any tips for the colder weather flattys down here around YUMA

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    wait until it warms up!!!! :wink: just kidding. the flats out here dont really hit to well in the colder weather. they like the water temp to be 55 degrees or above. you can give it a try though on the river in some deeper water, like up above imperial dam, but i wouldnt hold my breathe. are you stationed here? is so who are you with?

3. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I fish for flats most of my fishing time and I don't bother in the winter when the water cools down. if you want to fish for cats I would think channels for now. I hear from another recent post that channels are good on the All American now on shrimp Tight lines.

:cool2:

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    you want to catch a winter flatty, it's possible. all you have to do is find them, and bounce the bait off their heads.
    i agree with the other guys. cold weather and the bite goes off big time. channel cats are the one this time of yr. another (maybe) two months and flatties will start up again we hope.
    gary

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Ever'body,
    Just got back from the CO River,,, near Blythe,,
    It's still cold at night,, 36 degrees out there somewhere they said, I'm not sure I saw many of them....Man it was cold.. Days are Real nice. 75ish
    I caught a 10 pounder, and 2 smaller, all Flats, on live bait, No other bites on bass or channels, didn't try bait, wimped out with Goldfish!!
    Water level are low, but, manageable, I didn't use a boat.

Attached Files:

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    OH Yea,, BTW,,, If you're fishin' in the CA side of things, and you're OFF the main channel, You DO need a CA non-res license...$110.80. A Very nice Game warden informed me!!!!!
    Basically , if you can't get there by boat, you need the CA licensing...

7. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Game Warden eh?

8. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I was stationed in Yuma and was in Squadron 211. I fished for flats from April through October and didnt have much luck with them in the other months.

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Hey Greg good job on the winter time flats. man that sucks about the AZ guys not being able to fish the Ca side (and man have we been lucky), wonder if that goes for the Ca guys fishing the AZ side as far as fishing Lake Cibola

Hey Greg would be great to meet up with you out at the gathering in June:wink:

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'm planning on hittin the gathering, in June,, looking forward to it..

As far as the discussion I had with the CA Game warden,,, The Co River Stamp will cover everybody from both sides as long as you can access the water by boat...at least during high water,, so, If you can get there, should be able to fish there.

The agricultural conduits-canals, and outfalls in CA were not included with my AZ /Co River setup, I went ahead and bought the Non-resident CA, and it's good for the year, and I'll have no worries!!