late model gm 4x4

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by smokeysmurf22, Jan 12, 2008.

1. smokeysmurf22

smokeysmurf22 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i have a 2004 chevy 2500 4x4. just wanna share some information i've learned to help some others out maybe. these trucks and im assuming most gm made 4x4 late models do not have a way to regrease the front hubs. which means after about 100,000 miles you'll start to hear some grinding in the front. thats because the guys at the lube shop cant grease em. they have no nipple for a grease gun. i call a machine shop and they tell me that u cant hone and repack them either. so for maintenance purposes you have to replace your front hubs every 100,000 miles. that doesnt sound that bad until you discover that front hubs cost about $250 per side, so $500 total. then you have to pay somebody to put them on or do it yourself, which i'll go ahead and let you know is not easy for the simple fact that everything on the frontend is put on with threadlock. i've done it and its not rocket science, but its frustrating because of the price and the threadlock. hopefully this will help somebody out, because the noise was a little hard to diagnose for me. its alot like brakes, i mean even after a certain point u will get some shimmy in the pedal, so u might think its the rotors or the brakes. so just remember that noise in the front could be your hubs. especially if you're over 100,000 miles. also fyi, the new hubs DO NOT have any way of being greased either. so they too will have to be replaced later on down the line.

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a Ford F250 and I think its the same way, sealed bearings. And then they probably are not American Made. LOL LOL

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The 94 thru 01 Dodge has a similar setup. They have a bearing cartridge, retained by 3 bolts through the spindle, and no, you cant grease it either. Although the Dodge was really pretty easy to swap out, it still ran about $200.00 apiece.

4. smokeysmurf22

smokeysmurf22 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    yeah, that threadlock makes it really hard by hand. i had to do alot of hard banging with a hammer to get the bolts loose.

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Wow, guess there are still some advantages to having an old truck. I'll just keep on repacking the front every few years...:wink: