Late March Cats

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ryang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ok I will be off the week 23rd till 29th. This will be spring break for the boys also. I would like to take them somewhere that I can get into a mess of cats hopefully bigger ones but even eaters are good also. Im planning on going to Dillon Dam or Buckeye but if someone knows some good bank spots Ill be willing to try them also.

Are the bank spots at ellis any good or does it depend?

Oldest it 9 and youngest will be 6 in April. Oldest likes to bass fish but Im ok with that he likes to fish. Youngest just likes to cast LOL.

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey Gary ... talk to Tony when he gets back he can probably tell you about Buckeye ... I will also ask around here from some local guys. The used to be pretty good places at Lieb's Island at the west end of the lake, but has been to many years for me to be up to date ....... Garry-

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Liebs isnt bad depending on how many people are there, since Im going during the day it shouldnt be too bad. Ill probably do it so I can stop at Buckeye Outdoors also so I can spend my gift certificates. :big_smile:

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    You guys have fun I cant wait till my little man is big enough to start fishing some with Daddy..

5. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Hey, Travis there is nothing like the fun you have when you take a kid fishing.

6. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I agree have been known to have my son pull a 1/2 day at school to go for a weekend outing.Wife has put her foot down on it somewhat.Know can do it if the grades are good.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Bumping up to get some more ideas

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gary, if it don't get too bad, give me a call. I will be more than glad to take you. But, if the river is booming.... I would rather wait....rollo

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    As Jason said if the water is high, the river isn't the place to bank fish. If you are going to bankfish and the water is high, go to the backwaters of Dillon if the water is not over the road. Do you know where the backwater's are?

BTW, throw those hot dogs away and get you some shad. I have some frozen you can have, or one of us may have time to net you some fresh.

BTW, my 72 lb James River Blue, well they said big bait = big fish so I used 3 WHOLE hot dogs to nail that one.... My name is Joe Isuzu and you have my word on it.

Rollo, how much does that rope weigh? ROFLMAO!

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im not too sure, but it was 47 inches long! lmao! that picture killed me !!:smile2: rollo

11. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey Shawn .... I know the Rollo busted his scale ... so I saved the photo ... then ran a copy of it and the photo weighed about 13.2 oz. ... does that help you any .... Garry- :eek:oooh:

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Shawn I was thinking the backwaters myself as long as it isnt over the road. Tony showed me some good spots there.

13. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gary, I'm thinkin' I may be going to the backwaters next weekend, if the temps move up like they're saying they're going to...

14" of snow and counting.

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Bumping up for some more ideas. Im planning on possibly hitting the backwaters of Dillon on monday or tuesday after I go to Buckeye outdoors to spend my gift certificates. I want to get another rod that a little shorter than the 11ft one, hopefully I can find an 8 or 9 foot one that will go well with my 9000. If not then Ill get some other stuff that I need Knife sharpner is one of them not sure if they have the lanskey one there but I like that one. Ill probably get some better boots or some fishing clothing so I dont ruin my regular Jeans and T shirts (you know my going out clothes :big_smile:). If not the backwaters do any of you think the Dam will be good if the flow isnt too strong. Ill have both my boys with me and possibly my wife is she wants to rough it LOL.

15. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey Gary ...is it this week end or next your are going ... I thought the 23rd ... next week end. Right now the Licking is still up about 4 1/2 feet but it drops pretty quick ... and then depending or not if they open the gates at the damn will determin the water level in Dillon ... If next week end ... then give it a couple days yet which should help determine height of the backwaters. .... Garry- :eek:oooh:

16. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Garry this will be the week of 23rd so I have at least a week before I go out

17. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

18. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio

Well put Shawn .... :confused2:

19. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey Gary ...... here are a couple of photos of the Old Park are at Buckeye Lake .... Great Place to take kids and the water levels are acceptable .... Garry-

Attached Files:

20. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Photos of Buckeye Lake ....... Garry-

Attached Files: