Late Fall/ Winter Fishing in PA

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Dmcsa1201, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    Hey does anyone ever go out and fish in the cold like i have been doing? Hahahaha. Ive been getting some walleye but they been kinda sluggish. Ive been wanting to go Pike and Muskie fishing bad. But i dont know where to go. In pa that is. I had never caught one and im willing to turn into a snowman to get one. Hahaha. Or is fishing pretty much done in Pa when the weather gets like it is?

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    au la contraire

winter is MY best season. Not to brag or anything but I have near exclusive access to a warm water discharge from a major oil refinery.
    The water temperature at the outlet is bathtub warm and the Smallmouth Bite, is incredible! Walleye and BIG trout are likely as well.

This year has been about Pike and musky and I've been trying with diligence to catch one these last few weeks. success sunday, caught a 22" musky. I'm must be doing something right but its still a little on the small size.

Do you guys post stuff in the river threads about other fish? I figured this whole state forum was kind of a catfish thing...
    Jason

3. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    post anything you want just interesting to here about fish I'm going out saturday one last time or maybe not who knows

4. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    There is alot of places to catch Muskie in Pa. I usually go out to the Susky. to go Muskie fishing. I am heading down to the Potomic on Sat. for some big Blue Cats. I am hoping to get a #50+ fish. You never know though.

5. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Whats up Ken got my new stuff finally and ordered another Okuma abf65 ,practicing my uni knots to attach shock leaders I'm gonna use ande 40# let me know your input

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The walleye and striped bass fishing around here is horrible this fall.

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I like to do some Walleye fishing in the winter on the Allegheny and soon as we get safe ice I convert over to the hardwater till it melts! :big_smile: I hope everyone posts their reports from winter. It don't need to be catfish, especially since there wont be many cats caught till spring.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Amen!

Like the Wise One Scott said, it dosn't have to be catfish.

Any report and pics:smile2: is better than NO reports and pics:sad2:.

9. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Once the Susky gets up around 8' or more I am going to head out to the Susky. for some eye's. Let me know if you want to go.

10. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like to chase the walleyes this time of year, right up until the season ends the second week of March.

11. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Low water on the alleghany has the walleye entirely inactive...

but the bass are good and active. I think I'll catch more fish when the river comes up, but I got a nice pair of 13" smallmouth an hour ago.

cool thing was.

One hung to the bottom swaying this way and that. the other was half bird, I swear, he jumped and jumped and jumped.

both within an 1/8" and from nearly the same spot.

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    small mouth are probably my second fav. fish ta catch, great fight for their size and i like all that jumpin, that would be sweet if flatheads jumped:wink:

13. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    could you imagine a 30# jumping catfish:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I find that trout fishing this time of year is excellent. Especially using minnows. When I grew up on the perkiomen, we used black nose dace hook thru the anus & out the anal fin. They swim in circles this way and drifted thru a cover with a single shot on 18" above the hook led to alot of hard strikes. The waters cold so theyre not going to be so ethusiastic on chasing things down but when they do they mean business.