Late Fall Early winter Smith Mtn Lake Striper Report

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by CatsNstripers, Dec 14, 2009.

1. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    The past couple weeks since i last posted as been some good fishing. The weather though has been cold and somedays windy. I belive the coldest morning so far out has been 19degrees, that was before sun up.

The artifical bite has just been slow this fall. Compared to last fall. Most of our catch was from casting and jigging. This year, its been totaly opposite. The bite has been on bait. And with the floods and muddy water her recently. Some days Bait has just ben a totaly pain!..

Big large Gizzard shad placed on freelines behind planer boards has been killer right as the sun start to bring in the day light. Once the sun gets high you can see a great difference on the habit of the fish. Using Downlines and 3/8ounce freelines. With a mixed asso. of bait such as alewives, and smaller gizzard shad, can somedays be killer mid day. Also Mid day is when we have been hitting our large schools of stripers. Were multiple hooksups can occur at one time.

Some Late evenings stripers can be found in the very backs of creek arms and large coves, chasing and swirling on smaller baits. Somedays they'll crush a lure, somedays they wont..

Most of the fish we've been catching right now have been from 8-12lbs. with a handful of fish going mid to high teen lb range. A good friend of mine this past saturday did catch a 22lber while casting a fluke on light tackle. I think it about whipped it arse... Mostly i've been fishing just half and 2/3days. Time a had ben lashed for a while. But yet, we've still been putting 6-16 fish in the boat "almost" each trip. with a slow day here and there. With a couple days ending with 19 and 20 fish days...

I loving the bait, and dont want it to end. But cant wait for them to switch onto jigs and spoons! Look forward to that...

Heres a few pics...

Attached Files:

2. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I also forgot to mention two things..

1. about 2 weeks ago. Now this didnt happen on the same day. We caught a few flatheads while targeting stripers. Nothing odd there. but what is odd. Is were we caught the flatties. they all came out of a school, and sometimes a massive school of stripers. They came from down rods running 25-35ft. Now we may have been over a bottom of 60ft. So meaning these flatheads were suspended. Also it was not uncommon to have 1-3 of my other downrods loaded up with a striper at the same time as the flathead was on.. Just seems very odd to me.. Most of these flatheads are running around 6-10lbs.

and #2. Last saturday it rain and sleeted and snowed all morning. About 1pm. Me and my buddy got tired of fishing in it, even though we had the binimi Top up on my boat. He headed home. I Loaded the boat and hung around the dock beisdes heading up to the g/f's house. with the bait we had left. Cut gizzard shad and alewives. I managed to land several 11-12lbs stripers and numerous channel cats from the dock. Had alot of fun, and really its just dang nice to take it easy on the dock and remember how we use to do it...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009

3. Fokromix

Fokromix New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for the report. Haven't been down since Fall. Father in law lives in a cove facing the State Park. Glad someone is harassing the fish!

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the report and pics Travis. Looked like ya'll had a great time:wink: