late fall blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Oct 11, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well, im gearing up ,for late fall winter blues, any advice on changing tactics,for cold wether never been winter fishing , lost a job havent been on hear for a month

2. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Find the deepest areas in a lake. That is my experience. Someone else will have to help you I do not fish the river very often.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Small baits in the cold work good ; )

I fish most all year. I was in 5.5' of water last winter and did really good.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Fall and winter at least around my area, when the shad start schooling up, I'm fishing the shallow waters hard during the day when the sun is out. The shad will be up in the shallows feeding from the added warmth from the sun. I'll usually fish everything from small fillets to whole shad(16"-20") to see what they are hungry for, then adjust for that particular day. If it is cloudy with not much sun to warm up the shallows, then I might fish deeper water. All depends on the conditions.

Oh, and the fronts before a snow storm is moving in is always a hot feeding time for the blues. When the barametric pressure starts dropping big time right before a front comes in, it can get pretty darn fun.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I find mud flats on the lake and fish into the wind. Seems the wind blows the bait fish in close to the bank. If there is no wind I watch for gulls because the cats will push the shad up to the top.