Late 90's Ford Explorer or Jeep Grand Cherokee

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by harper81, Jan 20, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I am currently in the market for a used SUV. I have searched everywhere, but can not find anything that would make one vehicle better than the other. If anyone has any experience with either vehicle any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    if you can find a cherokee with a straightline 6,grab it.they last forever.but then again im not sure if the make the 6 in 4x4

3. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Doesn't have to be 4x4...I just didn't wear else to put this.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    They do make the Grand Cherokee in the 6 cyl. (4.0 Litre) with a 4X4 Option, It is your better choice, IMO.

5. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    im not a big fan of either but if my choice id take the jeep, the lesser of 2 evils lol

6. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I have a Ford explorer 4door 4.0 6cyl changed the oil on time new brakes got the trans fluid flushed when I first got it also tires but other than that nothing had it 3 years starts up first time every time:wink: its a 96 178,789 miles

7. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had a 94 explorer nothing but trouble. The thing about the jeep is fuel consumption.I have to agree the jeep is the lesser of two evils. What about an early 90's blazer?

8. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    we got an 2001 ford exploder. its a great vehicle. in my opinion id get whatever you want they are both great vehicles if you treat them right. whe did have one problem with the exploere and thats when a relay shorted out but it wasnt to bad of a fix. just look and see what you like

9. catslammer

catslammer New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 v8 it will go wher most suv's &truck's wont.u

10. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We just picked up a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4, with the 4.0 liter high out put inline 6 for an extra vehicle. Great lil suv, tons of torque. It would be my recomendation.

11. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas

lol ill run ya over with my ranger:smile2:

12. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    ford explorer transmisions are weak so are the jeeps both are good vehichles both have trans problems.

13. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    our explorer transmission seems perty strong

14. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I would go with the Cherokee. Stay away from the WJ '99-'04. They are trouble. I'd go for an XJ '84-'01. Try get get an XJ from '99 -'01 though. You will not regret it. The 4.0L in those are well known for going 300,000+ on regular oil changes with no other maintenance. Hope you get a good deal on whatever you choose. :wink:

15. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Beware as Catoon stated the transmissions are only good for about 150,000 miles but the engines are great,we just got an overhauled tranny and got the Jeep cheap so best wishes sent with this.

16. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've worked in ford and jeep dealerships. I actually own a 97 explorer that was given to me. I wish it was a jeep..........LOL. stay away from explorers unless you like to replace expensive ball joints, transmissions, and fix oil leaks.

17. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    bahh....you much have a nockoff lol just kidding. im for real though when i say our 2001 explorer has been the best vehicle we have had in my lifetime. been to texas and colorado a time or who and never burnt a drop of oil. pulls the 18' bass boat up and down the big hills at the lake thats 50-55 miles away at 60mph. and weve never had to replace any balljoints. its got around 148000 on it i beleive and weve had it for about 5 years now. i the the 4.0 in the fords got a little more giddy up than the jeeps ive driven too.

18. BACKWOODSBOY350

BACKWOODSBOY350 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    GO WITH THE JEEP AND EITHER THE INLINE 6 OR V8 MODEL THE V8 LIKES GAS BUT HAS HUGE POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO AND THE WILL PREFORM ALOT BETTER THEN THE EXPLORER THE EXPLORER IS THE WORLDS MOST ROLLED VEHICLE EVER MADE AND IN COLORADO THE ARE WAY DOGGY NO GUTS AT ALL . YOU WILL ALSO HAVE A LOT BETTER RESALE VALUE ON THE JEEP

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Everything you mentioned, I can do blindfolded.....Not because I'm good but because I do 'em all the time.

Sorry it didn't get the quote from psycho