late 80's Evinrude with VRO pump

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Ictalurus Punctatus, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    OK, I'm looking at buying a boat with a late 80's model Evinrude with an oil injection system that seems to be malfunctioning. Is this a pricey repair (pump replacement)? Is this design one that can be trusted? Or should I contemplate removing the VRO pump altogether and simply mix fuel manually? I'm just trying to do a little research so that I know what I'm getting into before making the man an offer on his boat. Any experience or technical expertise would be greatly appreciated (but please keep the technical expertise to a layman's understanding please ;)). Thanks.

Jon

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    malfunctioning in what way? Is the buzzer going off? I bet if you check the oil line. Its bad those lines do not last for ever. But most never check them. If its cracked that allows air to get in the system.
    I know Willard will give the total lowdown on it.
    Pete

3. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I would do a compresion test on all cylinders, before buying.

I disconnected my vro on my 84 150xp, Its a little more secure in my mind that I put the oil in the gas.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it was a mid 90s engne then restore the pump but as it is a 80's model then loose the pump. I would base My price on as to a replacement of the system which will cost about 4oo.oo to 500.00 to replace\

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    hey Bubba, the one I bought has a 84' evinrude w/a vro, do I lose it or keep it? If I lose it, how do I do it? It seems to be working now..