late '60's -early 70's 5 hs evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by txthumper1691, Jan 31, 2008.

1. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Not sure th exact year, but I know its around there, anyways, my problem is this. I can get th motor to start up, but I just cant seem to keep it running. I took out th plugs, cleaned'em, they werent really that bad. sprayed a touch of carb cleaner in th hole and in th carb, since its been settin a while, thought it would help. YUP, sure did, engine ran great for a min or 2 then died. Seems its not pullin th fuel from th tank. I use th same tank and line for my 9.5 evinrude, that 1 works like a charm, so I know its not th line or th fuel. its also not th line going to th carb, I chkd. on a small motor like that what pulls th fuel to th carb? seems after I prime th carb and get it to start, once it dies, I hafta reprime over an over an it wont stay running. Help please. I wanna use this 5 hs as a back-up engine for when its just me toolin round runnin trots, use th bigger one when I have company. thanks guys.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sounds to me like you have all ready figgured out your gonna have to rebuild those carbs, but are resisting doing so. For an older motor thats set up, the first thing you should do is rebuild the carbs and fuel pump BEFORE you put gas in the tank. Save you a lot of trouble and frustration. Once your sure those components are okay, then its just a matter of the sync n' link, and other adjustments. Dig out the repair manual and do it step by step.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sorry I haven't been around for a few days but My wife is sick so she comes first but on to this.
    If I am reading you correctly you are bypassing the pump or there isn't one. If a motor doesn't have a built on tank and depends on a portable one for fuel source then it has to have a pump.
    That carb has to have a rebuild job and most likely the fuel pump also.
    Post a model number and I'll get you the exact year and most like can steer you to an online exploded view of the carb and pump.

4. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    model # 4606M
    serial # E0002381

that equals a 1976 4 horse evinrude, not an earlier 5 horse like I was led to believe. I did a lil research and found my 1st thread where u sent me a website for early model evinrudes, looked till I matched th model #'s. So you guys think that th carb needs to be rebuilt, or th fuel pump, or both? I found a local evinrude dealer just 30 min from here. I think I'll give them a visit and see if we can fix this motor. I thank you guys for all your help. I greatly appreciate it.