Last weeks fishing report-Blanco river

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by Wac M Trac M, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I was supposed to fish Claveres but my nav lights were acting funny. They are real cheap so I decided to trash them and build some another time. I hit the Blanco instead. 4 miles from my house I was there pretty early. I hate the Blanco cause in my area your limited to small channel cats. I had lots of chum and different baits since I was planning Calaveres.

I got there at 5pm and worked my tail off. I netted some perch and spot tail minnows. Chummed 3 areas. One where I planned on fishing. Then a deep pool next to a dam with lots of overhanging limbs. I set out 4 limb lines and 3 jugs there. Last I chummed the only place on the Blanco where I've seen a yellow cat. The head of a deep pool directly below a fast riffle. I set a 12 hook trot line there. It was 8:30 pm and getting dark so I collected 2 of my jugs and headed for the first hole were I planned on fishing. I chunked the jugs and fished till midnight. I caught one fish on my fishing rod. He was about 18 inches long. I went looking for my jugs and found a turtle on one. Checked the lines and found another fish on one of the limb lines. The trot line was unscaved. I headed back to the fishing hole and was going to call it a night. I have a real bright surefire light. I shinned it in the water where I was fishing and saw 30 or more cats in the hole I was fishing. They were all swimmimg in and out of rocks looking for food. I had to try again. Earthworms,perch,spot tail minnows, DK original and blood pb were thrown but nothing worked. I went home totally wore out and defeated. It was kinda amazing that I had fish all over my set ups but nothing would bite. I blame it on the moon.
    I made fish tacos the next day. Man I was sore all over.

Anyone have a clue what other bait/method might have worked?

2. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm no pro, but- it might have been presentation? Some times you'll need to free line your bait or use a slip bobber to fish different to me I've tried 4-5 different baits and they just don't seem to want any of it. As for the moon phases and barometric pressure and how it affects fishing I have no clue:confused2: . I just fish when I can :001:

3. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    What I meant by different was depths. sorry i should proof read to make sure I am typing what I am thinking cause I can't type as fast as I am thinking and i miss a bunch of stuff:embarassed:

4. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Frank,

I have to agree with Marcos, I've been fishing here at Cali and nothing, I move my slip knot up or down 6-12 inches and I'm catching fish.:wink:

Rubes

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I hope you have better luck in the future, good luck.

6. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Hey Frank,

What did the fish that you did catch have in their stomachs (if anything)?

Wonder if crawfish would work there. Maybe shrimp. You can always try just a piece of cheap weenie. I think I've probably caught more channels on weenies than anything else hehe.

7. gonzo1

gonzo1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Frank,
    Frank here! I don't know what to tell you but just going fishing and having a night like that to me is alot of fun.........although coming home with fish is always nice too. Good thing is, I know you'll be back!! :0a18: