Last weekend

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Dave L, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well I went out fishing friday night with my buddy moeman we went to a spot where we can usually get some eaters using night crawlers.
    Kept getting my hook stripped and running out of crawlers, so I decide to put on a smaller hook to find out what is doing this to me. I'm in my boat and moeman is in his and we are anchored next to each other shooting the breeze when all of a sudden my rod tip hits the water, I yell fish on.
    Moeman climbs into my boat to help land the fish, I fight the thing for 15 to 20 minutes drag set all the way and and every time I get it close to the boat it takes off running like as if there was no drag at all. This fish ends up pulling us in the boat that has anchor still down about 100 yards from moemans boat, man was that a strong fish. We did get a quick look at it as it came to the surface and did the big tail slap and spit out the hook.
    Was a sturgeon about 4 to 5 feet long. That was all the excitement for that night.
    Saturday night was a little different, I get out to the same spot and throw out a line with a large chicken liver on 5 minutes later I get a fish on I manage to get this one in the boat, a cat about 15 lbs. Then I sit there for a while to see if I can get some more. So I throw out a night crawler on my other pole and I start feeling little hits as soon as the bait hits the bottom. I think, not this bait thief again so next time it hits I give it a jerk
    I end up catching a 3 ft. sturgeon with a DNR tag on its dorsal, I write down the numbers take a pic and set it free.
    I have pictures of both fish I will post as soon as I get my son to make them the right size for posting.

2. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Thanks for sharing that. Don't think I'll get a chance to hook a sturgeon with out taking a trip, but it sure sounds like you had an interesting trip!

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    That sounds like a pretty exciting weekend! You catch a 15# cat, plus a 3' and a 5' sturgeon! Sounds like a real good time to me :eek:oooh: :lol:

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats brother, never seen a Sturgeon. Would be an awesome site, maybe one day!!

Nice kittys also.

5. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well heres the pics, the cat moeman took the picture while he was still out and the sturgeon I took, as moeman had already left for the night.
    I lost some of the sturgeon picture when it was re sized so you can't see the whole thing. Enjoy:smile2:

Attached Files:

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    sounds like you had fun

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

very cool, I would love to catch a sturgon I hear they put up one heck of a fight.

8. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    That's a great story Dave, thanks for sharing it and the pics. I have been fishing the Minnesota River for years and never caught a Sturgeon before. They can become HUGE fish! That would have been quite an experience being drug around by a 5 foot Sturgeon, I imagine your heart was racing! That's a nice looking channel cat also!

9. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Congrats on the catches. My friend pulled one of those Sturgeon out of the Mississippi the other weekend. I had no idea what type of fish it was, I thought it was some kind of freshwater shark. His was about 2.5 feet and it fought very hard, he thought he had a 20lb Blue Cat on the line. The whole fish when you hold it is nothing but bone plates that can cut you pretty easy it seems.

10. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    awesome story good luck next time

11. Maynard

Maynard New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have never saw a sturgen in my part 0of the world are they good to eat

12. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Where I fish you can not keep them, though down river below the St Croix dam from Sept. 2 through Oct. 15 the possesion limit is 1 with a minimum size of 50" and a sturgeon tag is needed.

Some day I'll buy a tag and go get me one just to say I tasted it.

13. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like you had alot of fun brother thats what fishin is all about in my opinion,fun and relaxation.--------------pk powell:big_smile:

14. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Were the bites a series of small taps and then a stripped hook. The reason I ask is I was using anchovies and kept getting small taps and then I would pull out a hook with an anchovies stripped to the bone. I wonder if it might have beena sturgeon as well. There are alot of them in the Sacramento river but I have never landed one. Nice pics thanks for sharing!

15. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thats exactly what was happening, they are so fine you have to have your pole in your hand to even feel them, as the rod shows no movement.
    When you feel a good tap give the pole a quick yank and you could get one on. Give it a try you'll love the fight.

16. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I've had sturgeon before it's great smoked. we usually catch a few either in the Mississippi or in the cedar river. But i have to say i have never hooked into a 5 footer before, usually end up with the smaller ones 2 - 3 foot. Some of the commercial fishermen around these parts get the sturgeon and harvest there eggs.. cavier nice looking cat you got there also

17. brian

brian New Member

State:
    minneasota
    Dave l I can not wait to see them pictures of your cats

18. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    brian, 8 more posts and there all yours brother.

19. jaybird78

jaybird78 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    great fishing can't wait to see pics.....

20. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great story Dave! We don't have Sturgeon in my neck of the woods. Would definetly be exciting to see one caught!