Last Weekend @ Truman

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by TomV, Sep 26, 2006.

1. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Got some fishing in this past weekend. Got to the Lake early Friday, loaded up the pontoon, threw the casting net around the dock and could only get 5 shad. Set out for a small cove near where we planned to fish to get some more bait. Forgot my casting net but we did manage to catch a dozen bluegills for bait, the bluegills were playing hard to get. It was so windy we didn’t try to fish where we had originally planned, instead we headed back by the dam to tie up to some trees where we would be somewhat protected by the wind and on a tree line near the river bed. A lot of fish on the fish finder but most turned out to be small. Jackie (my wife) caught a dozen or more blue cats on minnows but all where between 7 to 9 inches. She did manage to catch a few crappies with two keepers. I had 4 lines out, 2 jugs and 2 R&Rs; one live shad and three with live bluegills, hoping for a big flathead. Would have been happy with a good size blue but I didn’t get a bite. We did cut the night early though, going in at 10PM.

Saturday morning and early afternoon we tried fishing again but again it was very windy. We had my son (Thom), his wife (Tonya) and one of my granddaughters Niki (no. 10 grandchild) with us. We did a little trolling but no luck. We did some sight seeing, walked some bankspicking up rocks, worked up an appetite and went out to eat. Had a good time but no fish.

Back at the houseboat by 5:30 PM. I set out two lines with 4-inch live bluegills. With tight line on one with a circle hook and a bell to alert us of a bite. The other had a kahle hook with the bait alert clicker set.

How long do you leave your bait in one place without a bite? Well, he bell went off at 11:30 PM. six hours after it was set out and I caught a 1.5-pound blue cat on the circle hook. I rebaited my hook and threw it back out. Not a sound from that bell or the other rod till 8:30AM the bell went off, nine hours after being set out. We were up eating breakfast but we did sleep in, it was extremely windy, cloudy (dark) and quite chilly out. Well this time I caught a 4-pound blue cat. Not a great weekend for fishing but at least I did catch two and both had hooked themselves on the 7/0 circle hooks.

2. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Well, sounds like it was a little slow but you had a good time anyway, That's what it's all about . Truman is a heck of a lake . I've only fished it once though cause it's a four hour drive for me and why drive to fish when you've got the Mo. to fish in. But if I was closer , I'd be hitting it pretty regular I believe. Up there a few years back during duck season and camped at Sparrow foot Park. Was a fellow there camping next to me and fishing for blues and he was slaying them. He was using stationary jugs and using hot dogs for bait. He was a preacher and he was getting fish for a big fish fry his church was putting on. I would watch him running his jugs while I was out in the duck boat and I was wishing I was fishing instead of duck hunting that year. He was getting some nice fish every morning I was there. It was the first week of November.

3. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Yep it's been real slow for us the last three weekends, plan on it picking back up soon. Four weekends ago we caught 9 blues one trip out Saturday morning, one 17, one 5 and the rest 2-3 pounds. The weekend before that my brother was here and we caught 8 on a Saturday and one was 17 pounds.

The fellow slaying them in November gives me hope. I've been hoping with the cooler weather, fishing would pick up, but the lake is really low right now and staying that way. But as they say, a bad day fishing is a lot better than a good day at work and I'm always happy when we are at the lake.