Last second shot!

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by channelcat_tracker, Jan 19, 2007.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    how do i trap some mink in a big lake (roughly about 10 to 12 acres)? because about 10 to 15 mink are in it and i have about 10 days left and i want to get one before season closes. so if i could find out what set to set for a mink patrolling the banks of the pond that is iced over, that would be great!

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    up in a tree with your cast net? not sure, im hopin to get into trapping by next season.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    try a pocket set they will investigate most any hole that they find

4. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I agree w/ 223reload the pocket set is excellent for mink.

5. Stormin_Mormin

Stormin_Mormin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    never trapped using a pocket set, what is it

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    its just a small hole dug into a bank. then add lure or bait inside and bed your trap in front and a little to one side probably set the trap about 3-4 "out front

7. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I agree with the pocket set but dig your hole at a slight upward angle. This set will also catch any raccoon coming by and don't get discouraged if you don't catch that mink the first night, it sometimes takes a male mink anywhere from 3 days to a week in order to make the rounds of his area.

8. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Some where around the lake they have holes on the edge where they enter and exit the water. Probably in a snag or other places not very obvious. they don't spend all thier time in the water, so search the edges around the ice and shore. It will be hard to find but well used, Don't visit mink sets too often because your scent lingers sometimes couple days, try to check from a short distance. primittive