Last ramp on Wylie: NIVENS CREEK

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mudkip, Oct 15, 2007.

1. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    It is obvious that the lake has been drawn down more by the power company here on Wylie. I rode to the south end near the dam to see how the sole remaining ramp on Wylie was doing. I found the water level to be very adequate for launching most boats. I do not know how some of those 30 foot cigar types would do--probably not well, but the bass boats and fishing boats seemed to get out easily. I measured to near the end of the ramp and it was about 5 feet deep, more than enough to launch. The problem I observed was that the water is down so much the floating dock is little help in securing your boat once it is afloat. Spoke with a guy and he had no problem launching. He was in a 17 foot bass boat. He summed it up pretty well that it would probably stay open until somebody with a huge boat comes to the ramp and tears something up and complains to Duke Power.

The current lake level is 93.3. 7 days ago on the 7th of October the water level was 94.1.

2. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I went by this afternoon to take a look myself. I was glad to see how far past the pier the ramps go. but I feel the same as you do, there isnt enough pier to tie up to and pull the trailer out without letting the boat hang off the end.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Lake Wylie dropped a little more overnight to 92.9, and that puts it four inches above the "minimum level" of 92.6.

What happens when it reaches that level? Who knows.

Norman is still a few feet from its minimum level, so I guess we have a while before we have to worry...sorta. :eek:oooh:

4. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    I went fishing a few days ago and I put in at nivens and had no problems at all. I have a 20ft seaark. I tied up to the end of the dock to the pole. Hope this helps.

eddie

5. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I will launch from Nivens this Saturday. I will report my findings. It seems the water is still decreasing...Come on RAIN!!!!

6. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I think I might do the same, unless I can get a good report for another lake. My father in law is looking forward to getting out on the boat and catching some fish.

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    We put in at Nivens this morning at about 7am. The parking lot was about full. We didnt have a problem launching and since I had someone with me this time he held the boat off the pier while I moved the tralier. We got off the lake at about 12pm and there was a line of boats trying to put in. Peolpe were parking all over, even in the "prep lane". We had a good mirning catching 18 cats.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    When theres just one set of ramps open people will come to it. I bet you could make a lot of money selling bait at that ramp right now. :smile2:

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    RR you are right. There were trailer/truck combos parked all the way up the road coming into the ramp. The lot was full. This was in the afternoon on Saturday. I launched out of Nivens this morning at 0700 and it was very quite. Only one other boat. I had an easy time getting my boat in. When I took out it also wasn't crowded like on Saturday. Spoke with someone who was loading a 22 foot tritoon. He said no problem with putting in. So, guys we have a good ramp if the water will hold out.

Lake Wylie water level 92.9 today.

Supposed to rain this week--come on RAIN

10. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I launched from Nivens today in 20 foot pontoon. It would be very easy with two people but more of a chore alone.

Lake level holding steady at 92.9

Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow and Thursday. Couple nice showers today.

11. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    dose that mean you an wyliecat will help me launch my pontoon as im big as two but am handycapped :wink::smile2:

12. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    yep, We will help you and carry your fish too. You are the #3 catman in the world 2007.

13. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Lake is up 4 inches from recent rains. Hey it ain't great but it is a start!!

10-26-07 Lake Wylie 93.3

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Lake Jocassee has came up about "4 Feet" and yes I said 4 Feet. They are lowering the water in Keowee for dam repairs according to Duke Energy so I guess they've been holding water in Jocassee. I know with all the lakes above Wylie they can't do that but at least one lake is doing better.

15. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Ramp still open and heavily used. Water staying pretty steady. No rain in sight for a few days.

16. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Im planning on using it this weekend.

17. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    When you put in at Nivens it helps to park your boat on the sandbar next to the ramp instead of trying to use the dock. The sandbar drops off pretty quick so you don't have to worry about getting stuck. It is good whether putting in or taking out. Ramp is still good!!!