Last nights report

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Trophy Flathead Hunter, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Well i had two firsts last night, caught my first walleye and it was on a circle hook! But i didnt even know i had him untill i reeled in my line to check the bait because it was bouncing around earlier. They must be light biters! Also he swallowed the hook so i had to cut the line and let him go. I was going to use for bait but he was only about 9 inches and they have to be 14 inches to keep. Anyways that was all i caught, couldnt find the blugills. I tried 3 different spots, the first spot had some homeless people living there. I fished for a short time but didnt feel comfortable staying so i went with my gut feeling and left. They were real nice people but somthing didnt feel right. I really wanted to fish that spot bad but safety first. Water temp was reading right at 50, i only checked at one spot though. I was using wild night crawlers and tried to use more of that skipjack Tom gave me but it has been thawed and refroze acouple times so it was just getting ripped off the hook. I think ill smash it up and mix something with it to make some kind of doughbait with it. Even though there wasnt much action i enjoyed every second out there, it was sooo nice out, I love night fishing! My brother ended up not making it so we might try to get together again tonight, weather permitting. Ill fish in rain but i see lightning then im gone. Im crazy not stupid! Also i realized i carry way too much stuff with me haha i need to rethink what i really need and really dont. I was wearing myself out lugging it all around. Sidenote a guy stopped and ask if i was scared of the gators, i just laughed and said they are lying to you! I was waiting for him to tell me about the catfish thats as big as a vw:roflmao:

20180413_213545.jpg

2. Lost-River-Jones

Lost-River-Jones Active Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Paul

3. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    I have been looking up walleye vs saugeye and im begining to think it might have been a saugeye. Which if it was i could have used it for bait haha. Im pretty sure it wasnt a sauger though but im not a hundred percent sure. If anyone has input on what they think feel free to let me know as i dont know much about these fish. When it comes down to it though they're all bait haha

4. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    A couple years ago I was fishing below a dam with creek chubs on circle hooks when one of the poles goes over. I thought it was a walleye and decided to take it home and eat it. Turned out to be a saugeye after some friends seen the pictures. Ohio State record is only 7lb and this fish was bigger than that. So to make a long story short I ate a state record saugeye cause I thought it was a walleye!

5. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    My vote is Walleye although I can count the number of both caught, on one hand.... Walleye have more of a back to belly dark stripe than the sauger which has more irregular splotches. Also the two black fins at the back of the dorsal fin. The sauger dorsal fin has more black spots as apposed to lines.

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Well-Known Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It definitely looks like a walleye. There is actually a really solid population of them on White River from the 16th Street dam and on south of there. Good catch!

7. Lost-River-Jones

Lost-River-Jones Active Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Paul
    Any walleyes in the East Fork?

8. WI/ILCats

WI/ILCats New Member

State:
    you need to put your state in here
    Name:
    Scott
    That is a walleye! Sauger do not have the white spot on the bottom of the tail fin.