Last night on the Wabash River

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by bnorth, Sep 22, 2007.

1. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Did some fishing just South of Lafayette, near Fort Ouiatenon last night on the Wabash. Bank fished from about 8 to midnight. I ended up with a nice 33 pound Flattie. Caught it on a drum head (I'm 2 for 2 with those now), on an outside bend of the river just upstream from a big log jam. Buddy of mine had a nice run with what could have been a decent sized fish but the hook had buried itself in the bait and he didn't get the hook set, I gave him one of my 8/0 gammies and re cast but we didn't get anymore bites after that. All in all good night, I'll get some pics up when I get them developed.

2. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    nice fish cant wait to see some pics

3. LafayetteRiverRunner

LafayetteRiverRunner New Member

State:
    Indiana
    How big are the drum heads are you using? I fish farther down .....more towards Goose Island and Eagle Island .You know that area? . Do you use the rest of the fish?? I have tried cut drum with little luck

4. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah, I know where Goose Island is at, although I've never fished it before, I assume the area is accessible by boat only (On a side note - I would rather get in the woods down there, especially the West side of the river...lots of wooded area right there.)

As far as the Drum, we cut up a one pounder in 4 pieces...I got the head and the 33 pound catfish to go with it, buddies got the rest, one had that nice run, another had a quick "nibble"....so I dunno...seems to work. Everyone agrees you should use the forage fish in the area and there is definitely no shortage of Drum in the Wabash. It also always made sense to me that most predators that eat prey whole eat it head first, so I use either the whole thing or just the head if it's too big, the theory has proven true so far.

5. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    All right guys--- I got the pictures back...on a side note that I forgot to mention earlier, the fish was CPR'd

Attached Files:

6. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    Nice fish Ben! Thanks for sharing the pics!

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Very nice Ben, thanks for sharing!!

8. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Nice fish Ben! I agree about the woods there also. I know some boys that sneak them parts LOL. I am camping, fishing and bow hunting this weekend. I figure I can't go wrong.

9. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah the problem with most of that land around there is that it is owned by the Purdue Research Foundation. I spoke with one of their vice presidents the other day about gaining access to some of their land (since it's literally just sitting there) and it was a no go, I guess I will have to wait till I meet someone who knows someone who knows someone.

10. LafayetteRiverRunner

LafayetteRiverRunner New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yep. Purdue owns it all and the only way around that is to get a boat. I run a 16.5 foot Sea Ark with a 30 jet and it gets around fine.You can put in there at the fort or grandville but that can get very muddy. I have caught some right across from where I think your at there at the mouth of where the Wea dumps in. Good job on the flattie