Last night at my favorite spot...

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by harper81, Apr 21, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I all ready posted this in the SC forum, but I am sure most people don't look in there.

Went out at about 6pm yesterday and when I show up of course the spot I wanted to fish was taken. So I got stuck under the bridge and I hate fishing under the bridge. So I sat for about an hour with nothing happening and decided to find a new spot by walking through the woods. Found what I thought was going to be a good spot. The water was not moving too fast and there were a lot of trees in the water right there. So sat there for 2 more hours without a bite. So at this point I was pretty fed up. I came out of the woods and looked across the river to see my preferred spot opened up. So I decide to give the night one last shot there. So I get there and fire up the lantern. Grabbed my first pole got it all hooked up and tossed it out. Started to get my second pole ready and I don't even think I got a knot tied and my other pole is bouncing.

So I grab it and pull a little. I still felt the fish so I gave it another tug to ensure the hook was set and started reeling. Well I should say I tried reeling. The line was zipping off the spool pretty good then all the sudden it stopped. I reeled it a couple cranks and it felt like I was just pulling in my weights. I was pretty upset then all the sudden the line started zipping off again. I was pumped. I started reeling and the fight was abnormally easy and I thought I just had a very aggressive 5# fish. All the sudden downstream by the bank I see wave coming to me. The fish was swimming down the bank right to me. So I got the rest of the line in and he is sitting in 6 inches of water splashing around and rolling like cats do. I am freaking out since I only have 10# line. A little flashback to two weeks ago my buddy caught a 15# flathead. When we got it to the side of the bank I grabbed the line and it snapped. So he ended up jumping into the river after his fish.

So back to me. I was not about to jump in the river after this fish. So if the line breaks my biggest fish ever is gone. So I am freaking out about how I am going to get this fish out of the water. Just for the record I am afraid of catfish. I know its stupid fishing for something I am afraid of, but they are so much fun to catch. So after tearing my tackle box apart I finally find my needlenose pliers and grab a hold of his lip and drag him onshore.

So what is it you ask? It was a blue cat. Easily the biggest fish I have ever caught. We don't have a scale so never got the exact weight but I am going to guesstimate 14-18#. I know thats a baby compared to some of you guys, but it is still great feeling catching that thing. I would have let it go, but we are trying to have a big fish fry in a few weeks so that fish really will help in the meat department.

So after that sat for another 2 hours and never had another bite. I guess I showed up at the perfect time. I was using nightcrawlers only. That seems to be the only thing that works there. Its strange. I will post the pics of it as soon as I find the cable for my camera. I hate when things vanish when I need it the most.

2. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Congrats on the fish sounds like you had a blast

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's a super feeling to have a fish on and especially when it's really got your adrenalyn running! Thank you for sharing but most of all thank you for serving our country!!:smile2:

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    congrats on your new pb. sounds like a good way to end the night thanks for sharing with us

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on ur Pb.

6. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    congrats on your fish. hope you keep having some luck. maybe they'll be biting better next time you go.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Way to go on the catch... And a nice way to face your fears!!

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Congrats.. Curious though, what about catfish scare ya?

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good story man, thanks for sharin, I too would like to know what you are scared of about them?

10. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I don't know how to grab them properly, so its the barbs. I am sure as I catch more I will get used to handling them.

Looking at the pic I hope it really is a blue, I am second guessing it now.

Attached is the picture

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Looks like a channel cat to me, but who cares??? That's a terrific fish!!!! Congratulations on a new pb.

12. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    hey bill congrats on your new PB! its always fun catching a new one.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nice catch! I have a friend who is also affraid of catfish, so he fishes for harmless bass.lol. Just grab them boogers and hold on tight.

14. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good story and nice fish! Congrats

15. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    on 10# line a 12-18# cat will feel like a 30+ lber. that is a great fish nice. PB

16. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    The bigger ones aren't near as bad about getting a fin into you as the small ones and the fins don't seem near as sharp either. Those little fiddler's is what usually gigs me with those side fins and sometimes even the top one as I try and throw them back. From what I can see in the pic though you have a really nice channel cat not a blue. The blue will typically not have that yellow look and will have a "hump" on their head. Still nice fish especially on 10# line.

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO