Last night at Claytor Lake

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by irishangler, Jun 25, 2008.

1. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I went to DeHaven Park at Claytor Lake last night and had a pretty good evening. I caught a 20-lb flathead around 9:45 p.m. on a small live bluegill. About 20 minutes later I caught another flattie weighing 12-pounds on cut bait. I had another good bite but it pulled off...that's the first time I've had that happen with circle hooks. There's a good bit of underwater grass that I could feel as the fish began to run and it might simply have felt tension and dropped the bait. The hook was clear and the piece of bluegill was pretty chewed up. I was surprised to not catch any channel cats. I didn't get to fish too long because I had to work early today. I think last night was shaping up to have been an even better night had I stayed longer. I'm heading back tonight and can stay longer. Let's hope the fish cooperate.

Mike

2. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    go get em and good luck!!!!!!!!!!

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I haven'tcaught many channels there this year either. last sat i got a 9 and 4 # flats and a couple 15-17 inch hybrids. The shad and alewives have been thick around the pier since they put up all the lights last week. I also noticed the grass, seems like every time I reel in I have 2 pounds of it.
    chip