Last night Altamaha river flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by STUMPKNOCKER, May 12, 2007.

1. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    released the flathead, he was 27# on my cheap scales, loat a bigger one later that night to the snags:crazy:

Attached Files:

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Sounds like a good night! Thanks for practicing catch and release.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Carl - Awesome Flatheads!:big_smile:

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice Flathead!

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Nice fish Carl! Is it true the flatheads have decimated the panfish population there? Is it difficult to get panfish there?

6. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    not really u just cant go down there now and load a cooler full of redbreast like u used too, but when the water temp is up i have no problem catching bait, i usually throw redbreast back cause bluegill live so much better on the hook. heres some pics of bait we caught friday afternoon.

Attached Files:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Carl I see you past the big test. Use Gloves on flatheads. Nice fish. Thanks for sharing your catch and pics.:lol: :big_smile:

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    5 years ago, I could catch pumpkinseeds, red breast,and big monster gills in the Schuylkill. Now it's getting tougher because of the flatheads. The channel cat population has even gone down. Scary stuff!

9. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    nice fish. them cheap scales lie! congrats!

10. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    here in ky they have these log perch as they call them ..they stay alive forever but rock bass around 5 -7 inches my bait of choice..blue gills tend to die when i use them in 10-12 ft of water. about 30 min is all i get out of them. tried the loopers rigs and everything but they still die.

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Is that second shot a stumpknocker? I love those little guys for biat. They are wild on the hook and tough as heck.

They say the flatheads in the Edisto have wiped out the red breast here, too. I almost never have any trouble catching plenty of them, plus I throw back a fair number of them that are a bit big for what I like for baits. Either there's more redbreast in the river than some folks think, or they must have been incredible once upon a time!