Last minute Walleye trip with the old man

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by stlcatman, Apr 21, 2008.

1. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I got a call from my dad at 4:30 on Friday letting me know that the walley on Erie had started to bite. He had just gotten his boat out of storage and was putting it in the water. I made a snap decision and was on my way by 5:15.

The weather was great and the roughest the lake got was 2ft ers and his boat handles those with ease. Most of the time up there the water was calm and the fish were biting. The FLW tournament was wrapping up on Saturday and the guy who won it was staying at the same place as us. When we brought our fish in on Saturday to the resort he came over and started talking to us. He had just won 100 grand. Man that is a serious chunk of change.

We hit most of our fish on reef runners 20' down in 40' of water and the rest on worm harnesses 55' back behind the boards. We ended up catching our limit both days (wich is 4 per person) and on Sunday we were culling fish. I think our 2 day total was right at 130 lbs of walley. We could only keep 8 a day so I ended up bringing around 100 lbs back with me and have a good start for our next get together.:wink:

This was a great trip, we didn't catch the numbers that we usually do but the smallest fish was 4 lbs and the biggest was my new PB that came in right at 11.2 lbs and that is 2 tenths of a lb not 2 oz.:cool2::smile2: My dad would not pick up the rod to fight a fish unless it was a double so I ended up catching all of the fish except for three of them. I caught 10 fish over 7 lbs durring the two days, one was the 11.2 and another was 10.5 and I also caught a 9.5. and 8 and several just over 7; Did I mention it was a great trip:tounge_out:. It is always fun when I get to go fishing with my dad, besides the fact that he knows how to find those fish up there. It wasn't all that fun driving the 16 hrs round trip but well worth it. I included some pictures, they were all taken on my phone so they turned out kind of bad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I tried to brighten up one of the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Kick butt Ryan! What a haul.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Now if we could just teach ya to catch "real" fish.:wink:

Glad you had a great time with you father. I promise he had a better time being with you.

5. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Man! Those are logs.

6. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Looks like you had a good day fishing! congrats!!

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Wow!!! Talkin bout some fine vittles. Congrats on the catch and spending time with your dad. Ya won both ways.

8. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Congrats Ryan.. Hey when we having our next fishfry.. Randy and me can get some Crappie to add to the pot.. We'll need a couple trips though..

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Way to go Ryan!! What a trip! I'm glad to hear you got to spend a fantastic weekend with your old man, I must admit I wish I could do that with mine some time.

I sure hope you brought back some of that luck / skill so we can get on the river and do just as good!! :smile2:

Thanks for sharing your story and pics with us!!

10. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Hey Rat.. What are you doing Saturday.. Randy and me are talking about going after Flatheads and Crappie at Carlyle.. It's gonna be 70 and sunny

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Nice fish, man! Glad to hear you had a great trip, congrats on the new pb 'eye!

12. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    That sounds like a blast, I've never been to Carlyle, in fact have no idea where the H-E-double L it is!:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

I actually made plans with a couple guys, one guy had never been and the other I took out on the river once last year. They have been begging me to get them out on the river for a while and since I won't have the little one this Saturday, I figured it would be a good chance. Not to mention, THEY suggested this Saturday!:smile2::smile2:

The problem I am having is this; where do I take these guys to catch some fish????? I was out at Columbia Bottoms yesterday and fished the Mississippi and only got little nibblers.:embarassed: I am thinking of getting out down south somewhere, perhaps STL, Flamm City, Truman or the BOAT CLUB????? I haven't heard of any really decent fishing reports since the Cabela's tourney and the rivers are still pretty high, not to mention we are expected to get more rain, or with the rivers high there is undoubtedly going to be a steady drop!:crazy: What do I do I ask you?????????

13. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the post. My bloods boiling just looking at them. I wonder how we can get into those creatures here around St. Louis. Word on the street is Kinkaid has some untapped opportunities, but who knows.

I miss that type of fishing. I would give anything to bounce a spinner and worm off the bottom on a 20ft ledge and get some walleye. It would be nice to mix it up a bit.

14. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Bill, we need to get together some time above the dam so I can show you a few go to spots... hehehe

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    D**n Ryno!!! That is SWEET! SWEET! SWEET! You do pretty good at this fishing when your with a pro eh? LOL j/k..... Would be great just to hang with the ol' man for a day, let alone boat some fish! CONGRATS to you!

16. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Glad you got in to some good fish Ryanus. At least your dad knows how to catch fish. Even if they are walleye. But I could prolly be talked in to downing a couple of those fillets.

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Ya tell me where to be and when, and we go fish like H3ll for as long as we can! Thats what! :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: You wanting to float around on that water hole anytime before the 3rd? Are we still on for the 3rd? Souounds like you need to hit the Mo. around the back of some of them wings :wink:

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Tell ya what Randy, let me talk to the lovely little lady at home and let's see if I can talk her into letting me get out on the Missouri on this SUNDAY with ya! That's of course if you want/can make it!

H-E-double-L YEAH! We're still on for the 3rd!!:smile2:

19. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Thats one heck of a trip Ryan, I cant wait for my boys to come fish with me when they get older............the more I think about I cant wait till they get out
    :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: (JK)

20. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Now thats some funny stuff there Willie man......Those are some great looking fish Ryan, I can practically taste them now.....mmmmmm good:big_smile::big_smile: