Last Minute Advice???

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by papabear108, Mar 7, 2009.

1. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am so excited. I am taking my son fishing Monday Mar. 9. I am almost finished preparing the boat. I have cleaned oiled and rethreaded all of my reels. I have the live well and bait well prepped and ready. I have been studying the posts on CATFISH1.com like it is a new religion.:wink:

I am still confused about finding shad. I have chicken livers ready. I plan on focusing on channels and crappie. So do any of you fellow cat fisherman have any last minute advice? I have learned so much here but I am nervous about using all this new info. I want my son to have a good time and catch some cats. Size isn't important at this point. I just want a successful trip.:confused2::embarassed::wink:

thanks for listening,
    BEAR

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    well if you are castnetting go out at night and shine a spotlight/good flashlight into the water, if the shad are there they will jump around on the surface, throw your net in that general direction and you should have your bait:wink:

3. Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro, Tn

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Big shiners are good store bought bait and so are eels if you can find them. Eels would probably work better on the blues than would shiners or livers. Also if you can stand to use such a good fish for bait one of those crappie would work wonders, the blues down here seem to love them.

5. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina

6. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
  7. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    Just go out and enjoy your time with your son and have fun. If you catch some brim (sunfish) just cut off there head and use them. I was taught that by a old timer down here in N.C. catching fish is fun but having time alone time with your son is even more fun, get to know him a little bit more as he will with you. If you get a hook up that just the topping on a great day.

8. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    we re waiting to hear how the fishing trip went.hope you caught some,that first trip is usually a wash ,tring to see if every thing works right,and learning the boat and getting use to it,let us know

9. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina

And that is exactly what happened. First off, we had a great time. As far as fishing goes, we got skunked. Not even a single bite. I did learn a lot though. According to the u.s. Army Corps of engineers website, the lake is at 221 ft. That is really high. The water temp is 40 degrees. That being said we went anyway. The air temp was about 83 deg. but a weak cold front moved through the area mid afternoon and brought 10-15 mph winds. We did experienced some decent gusts but I hardly believe the wind was as bad as report. We travelled up the Haw river from the dam and turned into the cove where stinking creek feeds in. I have had some success there in the past so I figured it would be good. The average water depth in the cove is 4-6 ft. with a narrow 12ft. channel down it to the Haw river. No bites... not even a baitfish. NONE!!!!!:crazy: I couldn't believe it. I refuse to chalk this one in the loss column though because I learned a lot.

1. I need heavier anchors. The two I have just don't have enough weight to hold the pontoon in place.
    2. My rods are in good working order.
    3. The two submersible lights I have need a lot of weight to get them under.
    4. I learned what kind of mods I need to make to the boat to improve my fishing. (Will be posted in boat mod section)

Like I said Jake(my son) and I had a blast overall. We both needed that trip bad. We are gonna wait until April to try again at Jordan. The water temp at my father's pond is a lot warmer with more bite. Not many cats but the sunfish are warming up. Thanks for all of the advice and the supportive comments. I hope to become B.O.C.'s Jordan Lake expert this year......I will keep ya'll posted.:wink:

Brian "BEAR" Lantz

10. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    brian ,im glad you and your son went fishing ,and really glad you thought about the positives,it only gets better,good fishing.