Last Flathead trip of the year.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KanHeadhunter, Oct 26, 2005.

1. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    This weekend will be my last trip of the year. I'm so mad at myself that I didn't/couldn't find the time for more fishing. So I cleared this weekend to find some fish.

I'm so rusty that I need some help/advice from the forum: The river has VERY little current in it right now if at all, I don't think that will change over the weekend. Water temp: I have no idea. Their are some log jams along the banks. Their is a gravel bar that I like to fish off of any summer but it is very shallow there now. We need rain bad here!!!!!

I will set about 15 limb lines(w/ circle hooks) in the area. I will have 3 rods(I have permit) with good rod holders set up near the cabin. Bait will be bullhead & bluegills.

Questions I have: Are bullhead/gills good in late fall? Should I concentrat on deeper water or shallow? Should I try the gravel bar at all? What else should I try.

Thanks

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    what I would do is to spread out some limb lines and cover some water the first night. w/o water temp hard to know whats goin on. with the third rod permit I'd probibly throw out two with live bait one deep, one shallow near cover if possible. with the third rod I would switch it up a little maybe some cut bait or even a dip bait. catchin some channels is always fun while you wait for the big bite. The next night I would let my lines tell me where to fish and set up on the hole that I had the best fish in it the night before.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    im with brad on this need more info like water temp. check for usgs stream flows on the net in your area. i had them add temp on my river graphs. those river guaging stations have helped me loads,along with the microsoft terra server images. you can scout new water from your computer! get zoomed down on your river and start looking for necked down areas(witch are usuallly deeper somewere close) and jams and sharp bends. sorry i dont know how to insert links bro.

good luck

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    ill try brother,sorry for the delay.

6. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    You guys should check out Google Earth Satellite Imaging Program, it is amazing! Full Color and more detail than Terraserver IMO. http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/ . Once you go to this page, on the bottom left is the download icon for the program. ENJOY!