Last Flathead catfish of 2008

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by patrickgd, Nov 8, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Got to the Bluegill pond at 5:30am this morning and surprisingly I was able to catch bait easily in the 38 degree outside temperature on my grub worms. Caught about a dozen and with serious doubts of catching anything headed to the river. The river has been low and falling and the outside temperature was 38 and windy. rescent water temps have been right at 55 and the current moon phase has been nothing special. I could'nt think of anything that matched a pattern condusive to good Fathead fishing but had to try anyway. Glad I did! first fish was a solid one that I'd guess was probally around 10 but after a good hook set and 15 seconds of "loaded-up" rod the fish just came off:confused2:. I figure he must've rolled and thru the hook. so I put another good biased cut Bluegill head back in the same spot and after about 15 minutes caught a nice little yellow 5 lber. Repeated the same thing and after another 20 minutes or so I had a fighter on. A nice green 13 lber. I took a few pics of both fish but something was going on with my cam that caused them to look blurry, maybe it was some slime on the lens??? Anyway I released the fish to "grow up". After that it was downhill as barge traffic and real strong winds pretty much screwed up any chances of catching anymore fish. I paid respects to the good ol' river and headed in grateful to have "picked off" 2 more nice Flatties for the year. :wink:

Attached Files:

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Glad that you were able to get into fish brother. Ive pretty much made up my mind that Im gonna keep trying for them into the winter. You never know...:wink:.

3. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I hear that Dameon and good luck to you! If you have a boat w/ sonar you can probably locate some of there wintering holes. I've got a video by "In-fisherman" that shows them catching them on a river in 33 degree temp by vertically jigging artifial lures. Also, they warn that during this time "selective harvest" should strictly be followed because large populations are concentrated into these holes.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great day fishing, Congrats and good luck in the future

5. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the catches!! :wink:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on a nice Flathead.

7. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Congrats on the flattie. I'm hoping for at least one more before this years end.

8. Mrs. Sunbird

Mrs. Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run, SC.
    Nice fish! thanks for the story.

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Nice fish ,

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That's two more flatheads than I've caught in the past month or so! Cool deal man. We caught a decent amount of flatheads during the day fishing for blues last year but they were mostly smaller fish in the 5-10lb range.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Congrats on the flatties!!
    It's no problem to figure out what was wrong with the camera, It's hard to take good pics when you're shivering in 38 degree weather..:wink:

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    congrats on pickin up a couple before the years end, i wish it was 38 degs. here, its in the teens with 25 mph wind :eek:oooh: