Last ditch effort...

Discussion in 'Boating' started by motard1, Oct 20, 2008.

1. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Ifa person was going to buy a boat soon,that person being me,what should he buy? My girl is stuck on the pontoon idea. I think they are ok. I was wanting a bay style boat like a boston whaler,you know center console fiberglass,self bailing. I also dream of a big crestliner or lund. Even a lowe or alumacraft deep v. Just not sure which way to go. I like being able to go shallow,but don't want an a$$ kicking on rough water. I like fishing in the trees,so aluminum sounds good, Pontoon or v hull? Tell me what kind of boat you have,maybe some pics to show the woman. Honestly,in the end I will probably end up with the toon. This is a last ditch effort to persuade her.
    I already have a flat bottom for running lines and jugs,so this is not a consideration for the new boat.

2. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    As brother Cheez might add, try looking at the Carolina skiffs, not a lot of bells and whistles but lots of room, stable,and can handle some rough water should you get stuck in the weather, run in very shalow water, great boats. Lots of them are used by the commercial guys if that tells you how they are made. Wont break the bank like a whaler will,,
    Puddle:wink:

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Dude. Who's writing the checks here? Buy what you want.

If you were married, it would be different. But a girlfriend? No way. Use your head. The one with a brain.

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    a 18 foot pontoon would be good

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mo take a look at some of the Deck Boats out there. Lots of room and ease of operation. Maybe the best of both worlds. I'm sure you will make the right decision.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Lowe used to make an aluminum hull deck boat that looks like it is a really good compromise between a jonboat and a pontoon, having the best features of each; from what I can see on their current web page, they've gone to a fiberglass version that looks like it's got some bass boat in its past. Personally, when fishing, I like being closer to the water than from a pontoon, but I do like the space and openness of the pontoon. And I really like an aluminum hull, rather than fiberglass. The Lowe aluminum deckboat provides this. I don't know if you're looking for a new or a used boat, but if you're interested in a used one, you might want to check out the Lowe aluminum hull deckboat.
    I'm putting a link below, but if the mods think it's not appropriate, they're free to pull it:
    http://www.pontoon.net/?pageid=88&fuse=shootout&testID=60

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    We are writing the checks. We've been together for 7 years,just keep postponing the wedding. Work has always interfered in 1 way or another.

8. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    I had a 22 foot Crest superfisherman pontoon, it was great for playing around but I couldn't get along with it for fishing. It was also a hassel just getting the thing to the lake, another thing is gas consumption it cost me about $50 every time I took it out. I sold it and got a 18' 6" Alumacraft centerconsole that I personally think beats the snot out of the pontoon for fishing the only draw back Ican think of is that its pretty crowded with more than two people.

Almost forgot to add the alumacraft costs me about $7 dollars in gas every time

9. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I have had just about every kind of fishing boat there is. Pontoon boats are great if you don't have much wind. Bass boats don't have enough room.Jonboats will get you wet in rough water. Bay boats will handle rough water ok but are not real stable when walking around unless you get a real big one.
    That said I bought a Carolina Skiff 218DLV this past April. This boat is amazing to say the least. The hull is very similar to a whaler. It handles rough water well. A bit bumpy when the waves are over 3 feet but if you slow down some it is not bad. Very dry ride even in the worst conditions. More than enough room for 4 big guys and all their gear including a 150 qt and a 70 qt cooler. Depending on how heavily the boat is loaded it will run in 8 to 14 inches of water. It has fairly high sides so it is prety safe for kids.The best part for me is the stability when fishing. Four grown men can all stand on the side of the boat and it will barely list over. The Carolina Skiff is a utility boat with few bells and whistles. Therefore it is about half the price of a whaler and about a third less money than a center console bay of the same size. I added the bells and whistles that I need for my style of fishing.
    Hope this helps.

10. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    i know a guy that fishes off a alum. deck , it works great for him,it looks to be around 20ft. lots of room, allows for fishing stump fields and shollow water, this rig will fly! he has removed all the seats adding captain seats, this opens up the boat and gets some of the weight off, don`t get in a rush, buy what fits your needs, wait now until cold weather to buy when boat prices are at their lowest prices, boat trader is a good place to look

11. jimmy willaby

jimmy willaby New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    MO,
    1.GO AHEAD AND BUY THE PONTOON BOAT BECAUSE, WOMEN ARE ALWAYS RIGHT .
    2. WE CAN HAVE OUR PASTOR AT THE NEXT GATHERING AND YOU ALL CAN TIE THE KNOT THEN .
    3. WE CAN HAVE A HECK OF A FISH FRY AFTERWARDS.
    4. LOOK AT ALL THE NICE WEDDING GIFTS YOU WOULD GET [ I WOULD EVEN GIVE YOU A GAL. STINKBAIT.]
    :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

12. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I'll probably go with the toon for now. However,I am not getting married at the lake. But I would still like that gallon of stinkbait. Call it a pre-wedding gift.

13. CAPTIN BILL

CAPTIN BILL New Member

State:
    north carolina
    food for thought,check out the new fishing boats from seark, they should have their new river cats on the market by now...BILL K.