Last chance for nightfishing at Dixon this year

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Novaxs, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    Heading out to dixon tonight for some nightfishing. This is the last week they are letting people nightfish. Today and tomorrow night only.

I don't know why they don't keep it going til the middle of september, but i figure i gotta get there while the getting is good. Some nice sized fish have been caught in escondido in the last 2 weeks. Both lakes (Dixon and Wohlford) have reported multiple 10lb+ fish, with a few in the 15lb+ range. I am hoping to hook into something even bigger.

I'll post a report tomorrow morning when i get back from work :sad2: At least i get to fish for 5 hours and then go to work(graveyard) :big_smile:.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Good luck on the fishing at Dixon Ben... Would you believe its been some 25 years since I have fished it... took my ole tent trailer down there and rented a boat..... did pretty good out there at the bouy line on Mack...

I think that I heard that there may be a "flathead" in there.... plenty of good food to feed em.... trout, LMBass.. sun fish and all

Bayrunner Ray

3. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    I have heard rumors of flathead(s) in dixon. I have a friend who saw a cat in the 30lb+ range but it swam off so fast he didn't get a chance to ID it.

I am hoping the larger ones caught in the last 2 weeks are just the start for this season. I hope to see some really big ones 20lb+ range this year.

I plan on releasing any big ones i catch, not without lots of photos though! I'll be keeping the stockers in the 3-4lb range, nice pan size fillets mmmmm.

4. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Good luck and looking forward to the report.

5. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    UPDATE

We killed it at dixon tonight.

1st fish of the night was caught by my buddy and it weighed in at 23.40lbs. Took it to the dock to have the rangers verify and post in the report for next week. So we CPR'd that bad boy and went back off to our spot.

Back at the spot we proceeded to rip into more monsters. I landed a 15 LB followed by a 18 lb. My friend also landed another 15 lb.

This was seriously the night of my life for catfishing. Both my buddy (Jeremy) and i made new personal bests. His monster 23.4 lbder was about 4 lbs shy of the lake record.

ALL the large fish we caught were cpr'd . We kept a 7lb and a 2lb for eating.

All in all we only caught 6 fish, but those 4 at 15+ were worth all of it.

On a side note on the way home we stopped at the gas station, and as we leave we get pulled over. My buddy didn't have his headlights on :sad2:. So 10min later the cops have left us and were nice enough to let us off with a warning. But now Jeremy's car wont start. 2 hours later and a parts swap back to the old points system and we get it driveable enough to get it home. We figured out the new HEI he installed ate it's self. Oh well i toldhim he should have bought a chevy! lol Now his poor 73' Gran Torino is sitting in the drive way waiting for repairs. I am so high on fishing right now i think neither of us could really care about is car at the moment.

Once i get my pic sorted out i will try posting them up.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  6. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    them are some nice cats, good job!

7. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Wow, those are some great fish!
    I just bought an Accel 2020 points conversion kit for my 73 Ranchero. Your post has me thinking maybe I should just keep the points.

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Great fishing Ben ... you guys slayed em.... thanks forthe pics.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    All I have to say is.....WOW! Great fishing. Thanks for the pics:wink:

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Nice. I never fished Dixon before and pass that area all the when Im fishing SD.

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Haven't fished Dixon since Feb or Mar, may have to go there. Looks like you guys did a great job of catchin em. Hope ya can still catch more.

12. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    u guys cpr or harvest,just curious?
    those are nice channels,wow.
    props

13. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    All CPR'd. My buddy and i CPR any cats over 10lbs. The smaller ones taste better :)

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Reps brother for CPR the big ones:wink:

15. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    reps for reps bro:cool2:

16. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    My fishing buddy and i release pretty much all the fish we catch everywhere. We fish the surf and harbors a lot. We catch 100lb batrays, and leopard sharks up to 5 ft. But we always release them. Only time we keep fish to eat is when we catch stocked cats/trout. We also catch and keep Mackerel/smelt/anchovie/sardines on the pier for bait. Other then that it's back to the water with em. Bigger is better in my book, and they can only get bigger if we keep letting em go.

17. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    be down in vista this weekend,bringin float tube n bass gear
    hit me up if you feel like fishin

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Good luck this weekend Brian:wink: