Laser rangefinders

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by 223reload, Nov 19, 2006.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    OK do any of youall use the rangefinders? im thinking about getting one and the bushnell and leupold models look like what im looking for i want something around 200$ or less dont see spending alot on something i'll only use once a year any other suggestions?

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I am not sure what your using it for. I tried them deer hunting at one point and decided it was just one more thing to carry. I opted for sighting my rifle in 2" high at 100 yards and never had a problem.

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Ken hit it on the head I just sight my gun 1" high @ 100yds & go for it, NEVER had a problem.

I did own a Busnell model that was real nice & would recommend it, if you decide to buy one. I gave it to my buddy's son for Xmas last year, so he could practice determining yardage.

I told him that he should only use it to confirm his "guess" @ the distance because the batteries can fail & "Dead Reckoning" is the best method for sure:wink:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats what ive done for the past thirty years i guess i just was querious how far those deer really were i guess if it aint broke i dont need ta fix it

5. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    One of my friends just bought a Bushnell off of e-bay for $50 I understand it is about $200 new.
    I was really impressed with it, just point and shoot the yardage.
    I got have to have one my self!
    Mark

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I would probably go with a nikon. I have a nikon 440yd finder, and it is awesome. I think they run around $179. These are the best thing ever for sighting in. I don't use mine for rifle hunting, but I use it mainly for bowhunting. I do alot of long range shooting with my 22-250 and I stepped off my range and 400 yds, and it was only 320 with the finder. Just jump in your truck and go back till you are where you want to be. No more stepping it off or guessing. They are really accurate.

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've had a Bushnell for years. Wouldn't go bowhunting without it.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Obviously the military has many applications for them and I have had the opportunity to use some of the best.My only caution is dont get so wrapped up trying to get the range that you forget to shoot!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHA:big_smile: :lol: I hunt out west and I have found that its more useful if you are sitting in one positon to range "Things" at the range you expect to shoot,so when that Big Bull ELk steps out in the meadow by the old black stump its 372 yds/mtr to the stump.Lots of folks have lost opportunities by trying to range the animal.They are VERY useful ,the same way, when doing long range prairie dog shoots or rock chucks.Soon you wont need a rifle as the laser will determine the range and shoot the animal.!!!!!:tounge_out: :big_smile: :lol: