Laser for my Kel Tec P-3AT .380

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Old Bill, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    After reading a lot about lasers on pistols, I decided that I wasn't going to die happy...unless I had a Laser on my Kel Tec P-3AT! (Years ago I also had the same feelings regarding a HD Sportster!)

Actually, the main reason I wanted a laser was that trying to quickly sight a pistol with bifocals...and hit anything was getting more difficult. However, buying one wasn’t easy for me because the dang things are costly.

It seems that most P-3AR owners install either the Crimson Trace Co. (CTC) Laser, or the Armalaser Co. Laser. Choosing was difficult because I have read nothing but good reports about both of them.

However, from all the information I could find, it appeared the installation of the Crimson laser was simpler. It didn't require any removal of pins, etc. from the body of the P-3AT. That and the smaller looking size of the Crimson laser pushed me in that direction!

Two and one-half days after ordering the LG-430 from Shooter's Resource in Oregon, it arrived in my mailbox. Service like that is very hard to find in this day and age!

I would like to write that it took me only 30-seconds to install the LG-430, as other people had written..

But, sadly, I can't say that...because I spent 5-minutes or longer trying to stuff the single battery in it's slot...the wrong way! I guess I should have read ALL of the instructions!

Well, heck...it really looked like the battery should go that way! :roll_eyes:

Once I realized my mistake, it took me only a few seconds to snap the two sides together and install the two tiny little (very tiny) screws. Boy, I'd sure hate to drop one of those babies!

The Crimson laser works great! The laser was sighted in at 50-feet by CTC. I found the laser red dot to be right on target (per the P-3AT’s fixed sights) where I would need it…10 to 15-feet.

The on/off switch for the CTC laser is a small button just below the trigger guard at the front of the grip. For a carry pistol it works just fine. However, I wouldn't want to have one on a target pistol.

The free Galco Holster that I received looks very nice and my P-3AT fits in it very nicely.

I'm a happy camper!

Attached Files:

2. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good report Bill.
    And the Crimson laser looks good on your gun.
    And the main thing... you like it!

A few years back I installed a LaserMax on my 9 MM Glock 26.
    It was fairly simple to install completely inside the gun. Only required field stripping the gun but I had to reread the manual to do that. :wink:
    Took me twice as long for it wasn't quite as easy for me as the brochure read.
    I'm not crazy about the on/off switch but really like shooting with the laser.

3. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Lasers are said to have a deterrent effect. Perps know where the bullet is gonna hit.:smile2:

4. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Dayton. That is a very nice laser instalation on your Glock. Where is the on/off switch?

My Glock 19 is in a safety deposit box...and it's been quite some time since I've field stripped it so I have forgot how everything went together. However, doesn't a spring fit about where the laser is installed on your Model 26?

5. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Mike, one can only hope it scares the hell out of them!

I know for sure that I'd get real nervous if I saw a red dot on my chest!:crazy:

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Bill.
    The kit came with a replacement slide lock and spring. The new LaserMax slide lock becomes the on/off switch that can be operated from both sides. The laser and batteries fits inside the slide.

Sure agree about seeing a red dot on my chest. :eek:oooh:

7. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    (or crotch):smile2:

8. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I think I would rather see it on my chest!!!:embarassed:

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    very nice, i'd like to get one for my kel-tec, i have the 40 cal. kel-tec and really like how easy it is to carry, i got the belt clip and that works very nice to conceal

10. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    The laser is great at night. One night this week I went out just to see how it would work in total darkness.

My little boat barn is about 200 feet from my house. The red dot on the barn's door was very easy to see, and would have been a great aid is sighting on something or someone.

Now whether or not I'd be able to hit something at that range is another matter...but, I'd scare the heck out of someone for sure!:crazy: