Las Vegas Bound

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by tdpasser, May 30, 2006.

1. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I'm headed to vegas on sunday staying for the week with the family in a timeshare we have there. we want to fish there and I believe Lake Mead is the closest lake there. Boulder Basin would be nearest the spot on Mead.

Has anyone fished Mead for Cats or Stripers?
    I was hoping to try the flathead method at mead and maybe throw anchovie for Stripers, any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Cactus Cat

Cactus Cat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I am pretty sure mead only has channels no flatties. If that is the case anchovies will work for both cats and stripers. My buddy always did well on mead with anchovies for mostly striper sometimes big LM on them as well. Viva Las Vegas.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    have a good time dude! I love Vegas!!! never fished up there though.

4. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    WILLOW BEACH. I've heard that its the place to fish near Vegas. The state record, or at least near record if i'm wrong, was caught there not long ago, as well as being a hot spot for trout. Its the Colorado river downstream from the dam, and maybe if you look into it more you'll find out that it has some big flatheads too. I don't wanna be wrong here, but i think i remember hearing about alot of guys who go down there and pull 50lb+ fish fairly regularly. Something about catching a huge flathead up there with a recordish trout in it's belly?! sounds like my kind of fish!

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Put 100 on black, cant go wrong there.

Good luck on the water brother.

6. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Thanks for the replys, I have fished mohave below mead which I believe is where willow beach is. I will be above the dam fishing the los vegas area on mead no boat because we are driving my wifes prias to save on gas so we will be shore bound so I will look for a point to crack the whip. I plan to throw large swim bait for stripers and gill up for the cats. I will let you all know the results. I was told that this can't be just a fishing trip only so some of the time we won't be fishing:sad2: :smile2:

7. AZrivercat

AZrivercat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    There are no flatheads in Mead, and none at Willow Beach. Huge stripers do regularly come from Willow Beach, but usually caught by people on boats.

I like Cactus's advice, stick with anchovies for cats and stripers. Probably not a bad Idea to have a gill out for big ones, as both stripers and channels will eat those too.